Mopani Wood Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Chris1075

Reaction score
So I have noticed this developing on the piece of mopani wood that I have had for about 6-7 years. This is the second time that I have had to deal with the issue. The first time I just scraped it off with an X-Acto knife, but it is back again.
I am left wondering is this harmful or just unattractive? I have also been dealing with a cloudy tank and an algae outbreak. Since cleaning the wood the first time. Water parameters are all in the correct range. The wood is still hard no signs of rot. I also have a FluvalPlant 3.0 light.

Can anyone tell me what is happening or if they have seen this before?

IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG

Hello. Hard to say. Nerite snails can only breed in water with a trace of salt. If the piece hasn't been in the tank long, this could be the beginnings of one of the many types of fungus that will inhabit newly introduced pieces of wood. Most snails will remove fungus. I would simply keep the tank water clean with large, frequent water changes. An aggressive water change routine will eliminate most, if not all tank problems.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Nerite snail eggs, no question...they'll lay eggs in purely fresh water, but they won't hatch....harmless, though some find them unsightly

Hello again. That's good to know. Have Zebra Nerite snails in a tank and thought they might possibly be eggs from one of the egglayers in the tank. But never saw any hatch. If these are eggs from the Nerite snails, then that would explain why the eggs never developed. The water is fresh.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back