With A Little Help From A Friend

BigC

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got to learn of a wild import of Rivulus being offered for sale in Wigan. (UK Mainland)
I have been after this species for some time now along with other members of the Northern Ireland Killifish fraternity.
After making a few enquiries via the manager of Pier Aquatics to ascertain the exact details and availability of the fish in question, I was convinced that they were the real deal.
The mega problem was how was I going to purchase them and get they from Wigan to Magheralin (Northern Ireland).
I remembered I had a friend, a fellow BKA member and as it would happen an active member of this forum. I wonder if Amerce would do me a huge favour, I pondered.
Half expecting to get a total re-buff, I plucked up enough courage to tentatively pop the question. I sent a PM and waited for her reply.
Then came the notification in my mail box, Amerce had replied. I was half expecting her to make up some excuse why she could not undertake the task I was asking. I clicked open the reply.....To my amazement She informed me that she would take on the challenge and would drive the lengthy journey to fulfil my selfish whim.
She kept me informed of her progress every step of the way. I knew for a fact that it would occupy a good part of her Sunday travelling and acquiring fish for a relative stranger but she was willing to undertake and forgo all this to help.
That particular Sunday evening I awaited by the computer for some sort of contact. Probably all sold, was one of the thoughts going through my mind at the time at that particular time. Then the mail notification arrived once again. She had accomplished the mission and was in possession of 12 Wild Imported Rivulus punctatus. Absolutely Brilliant!
We conversed back and forth over the next couple of days, making arrangements for their care and eventual final journey to these shores. Amerce handled everything perfectly from going home on her lunch breaks to feed my fish. She made all the necessary postal arrangements and the package duly arrive at my address within the allotted time-scale. Good Old Royal Mail.
There were a good sex mix looks like all pairs, some are still quite small. (Adult Riv.punctatus 4.5cms)

punctatus3.jpg
punctatus4.jpg

Males of Rivulus punctatus as relayed by Amerce in her correspondence.

I cant thank this woman enough for her unselfish help in obtaining this species for me. Without her help this project (for want of a better word) would not have got off the ground.
I have kept a couple of pairs and distributed the rest so as we don't loose the strain. We can re distribute once a proper breeding program has been adopted.
It is with gratitude to her that we now have this species in our tanks.
Thanks again Amerce it was mighty fine of you to perform such a huge ask and I hope I am in a position one day to return a favour.
Regards
C

Colin :blush: no biggy honestly, it's my husband who should get the thanks as he has to put up with having to come 2nd to my fish.

I look forward to seeing the little beggers growing and thriving in Ireland, and look forward to your photo's, will be keeping a close eye on Puddlefish.

All the best with this strain, I do think that Rivulus are under rated compared to the funds, but the subtle colours are well worth the trouble of keeping them.

it's my husband who should get the thanks as he has to put up with having to come 2nd to my fish.
:thumbs:
Please excuse my ignorance Amerce and thank him most sincerely.
Good Honest, Trustworthy friendships are hard to find these days and I am indebted to you both
I will post some pics later, and yes please do check in to Puddlefish every now and then
I try to update as often as I can even if it's only to add a picture or two.
Regards
C

Killis just seem to come from the weirdest resources.....They are never "born".... :lol:

Oh No!
Ludwig's gone all metaphorical.....
I trust your having some success with yours Lud.
Which reminds me, I owe Tyrone a favour.
Debts to repay as they say
Regards
C

chocolateaustrale.jpg
Oh No!
Ludwig's gone all metaphorical.....
I trust your having some success with yours Lud.
Which reminds me, I owe Tyrone a favour.
Debts to repay as they say
Regards
C
I really like those killies BigC there pretty cool! :good:
Thanks amerce for givin me that breeders name in delta,BC. ill be getting A. Choco Australe next time there on.
it will be my first "real" ;) killifishchocolateaustrale.jpg

Early days.... they're at their own mercy outside in a pond... 6 weeks they say I have to wait before I can see....They seem happy & I've caught them out a couple of times.... reproducing.... not seeing anything yet.

Are your ponds sparse or are they covered in vegetation
I would be inclined to make a few long floating mops and see if your getting many eggs.
I would imagine you will be, as long as the fish are healthy, well fed etc.
Don't forget your ponds are pretty large a killifish species breeding programs go so you may not see too many fry to begin with as the sexes can separate for a good periods of time due to the volume of water they are contained in.
Do you measure any values of your pond water Lud. ie pH, hardness and temp.
ATB
C

Are your ponds sparse or are they covered in vegetation
I would be inclined to make a few long floating mops and see if your getting many eggs.
I would imagine you will be, as long as the fish are healthy, well fed etc.
Don't forget your ponds are pretty large a killifish species breeding programs go so you may not see too many fry to begin with as the sexes can separate for a good periods of time due to the volume of water they are contained in.
Do you measure any values of your pond water Lud. ie pH, hardness and temp.
ATB
C
BigC do u sell killifish?

At certain times of the year, Yes along with Killi eggs and livefood cultures.
Keep checking my website, I mainly post there if I have something.
At the moment it is coming into winter and that's when I do most of my breeding ready for next seasons auctions.
I currently have fry from Aphyosemion bualanum N'tui and Rivulus xiphidius and probably some Nothobranchius malaissei DRCH 2008/06 Sange when I wet the peat
ATB
C

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back