Winter Ice Storm in Texas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...so the swim party was cancelled?
That's on her private property? No fence required around the pool?
Huge piece of land, 10 acres. She lives in the country so no fence required. However, she does have wire fencing all the way around for livestock.

I am not affected by the grey day and absolutely love to have mountains and ocean together, with the added bonus that everything stays green during winter.

New England winters are depressing to me, with everything turning drab after Autumn. The foliage show is stunning, though. Summers are too hot and humid.

I think I landed in the right place. ;)
I took a vacation out there, it is so beautiful out there. It really wasn't the dreary winters, I love the warm summers sailing on Lake Ontario.

Hey Matt, heard about the southern snow. Glad you still have electricity. Our heater went out yesterday at 10 am, called the few companies open on Sunday, only one called back and they didn't show till after 4:30. It was near zero last night with a windchill of -18. New house we have has poor electric, plug in a space heater and half the house looses power. It was a frigid yesterday and today as the serviceman didn't get the part till after 10 this morning. Had to pay over $500 for a $69 part (almost $200 was for service call on Sunday- like we told the furnace to die on that day and we had the luxury to wait to call on Monday as the inside of the house started literally icing up). Thankfully I did some baking and roasting yesterday and that heated half the house up for most of the afternoon. Today into tomorrow we will be getting another 5-9 inches of more snow; already have a foot on the ground, glad I don't have anywhere to go!

Hey Matt, heard about the southern snow. Glad you still have electricity. Our heater went out yesterday at 10 am, called the few companies open on Sunday, only one called back and they didn't show till after 4:30. It was near zero last night with a windchill of -18. New house we have has poor electric, plug in a space heater and half the house looses power. It was a frigid yesterday and today as the serviceman didn't get the part till after 10 this morning. Had to pay over $500 for a $69 part (almost $200 was for service call on Sunday- like we told the furnace to die on that day and we had the luxury to wait to call on Monday as the inside of the house started literally icing up). Thankfully I did some baking and roasting yesterday and that heated half the house up for most of the afternoon. Today into tomorrow we will be getting another 5-9 inches of more snow; already have a foot on the ground, glad I don't have anywhere to go!
Ouch...I'll quit complaining now

Good to hear from you again Nat, once your life settles down to sort-of-normal again, I'm looking forward to seeing you here more often, it's a nice, active forum with lots of great folks...like the "AC" used to be ?

Stay safe up there, in your winter wonderland...

Just got over a bout of bad weather up where I live. Finally warmed up, but between the rain and melting snow we are now facing flooded roads. You know what they say, when it rains it pours.

I hope you won't have to drive in that mess, and that your power stays on!

Wow, Loving the pictures of all your posts.
We have nothing like that here, Maybe Scotland gets it like that but thats over 350 miles from me
We were actually in double + figures yesterday with a few bursts of sun. So not missing a chance, I detailed mine & wifeys cars

Well, my biggest fear was my goldfish pond. Finally got a peak at them and they’re still alive. I placed foam board over the pond, followed by wall insulation. Followed by 2 blankets and a tarp. Oh, also had a de-icer in pond and it’s under a patio cover. Who has a pond de-icer in Southeast Texas? Me, that’s who. I am always prepared for my fishes. :).
Is it normally warm in Texas then? When I saw one report expressing great distress over two inches of snow I was like "that's nothing"...

I can’t even imagine! I’m dancing because we get above freezing at 3:00...34F then. Make it all go away. My pool has ice on top today. Tomorrow it rains here in SE Texas. Yuk!

Is it normally warm in Texas then? When I saw one report expressing great distress over two inches of snow I was like "that's nothing"...
We be fools driving in 2”. Look like a destruction derby. Can’t tell you how many family members slipped and fell yesterday...numerous times! One sprain his ankle and had to go to ER. It doesn’t help when we all are wearing flip flops. (Just joking there). Instead of sleds, the kids were sliding down hills on boogie boards (that’s true).

We be fools driving in 2”. Look like a destruction derby. Can’t tell you how many family members slipped and fell yesterday...numerous times! One sprain his ankle and had to go to ER. It doesn’t help when we all are wearing flip flops. (Just joking there). Instead of sleds, the kids were sliding down hills on boogie boards (that’s true).

My village isn't gritted so it's not much fun driving to work, though given the time I get home and the time I leave in the morning, its usually the case a lot of people have already driven over it slushing it up. However if it falls and settles on Saturday and Sunday when the road is not so busy so no-body slushing it up, I am the first one on it Monday 7:30 am and yeah car does ok as I drive it very sensibly, but its a BMW 320CI sport coupe and its rear wheel drive so not the best car to drive in the snow.

This story is so newsworthy, it was on the news here in Western Australia. You Texans made the news on the other side of the world :)

Surely you can't drive on 8"??
I have done it on my street to reach a main road (3/4 mile) in a front wheel car, just don't stop until your reach a plowed road! I have never driven any distance in 8" of fresh snow, other cars/trucks have made a path.

Last night storm made a northern turn and we only got 6", it stop snowing at 5am. Most roads had been plowed so no snow day :angry: We have another storm coming on Friday, hope it is a big one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back