The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Why do plants wilt?
Thanks, new to plants. I have a banana plant and one leaf wilted, but I also have a new one coming out...I guess that makes things even :)
But I still want to know!

Why do plants wilt?
Thanks, new to plants. I have a banana plant and one leaf wilted, but I also have a new one coming out...I guess that makes things even :)
But I still want to know!
Well, a plant will wilt when it does not have enough water. But there are other reasons such as too much heat, not enough heat, too much water and not enough light.

Picture of the plant?

If the plant was grown out of water and put under water, then terrestrial leaves can rot and fall off.
If the plant is a terrestrial plant and it is put under water, it will eventually rot and die.

If the plant was grown out of water and put under water, then terrestrial leaves can rot and fall off.
Many aquarium plants are grown this way and it is normal for this to happen. It can take anything from 2-6 weeks to settle into their new environment. When the old leave wild pinch them off, this will encourage new growth. Often the new leaves grown under water will be a completely different shape.

Picture of the plant?

If the plant is a terrestrial plant and it is put under water, it will eventually rot and die.
I was spcifically asking about a banana plant for an aquarium.

My first strategy will be getting rid of a big floating ball of plants that I have in the tank. You could probably see the banana plant in the thread "One Tank for you to View."

I'm going to follow up on the idea of two little light and possibly too little circulation because of the overgrowth; hopefully I will see some improvement. The Dwarf Lily in there is also looking kind of flimsy.

Thanks to the 3 of you for responding.:)

Thank you

Unfortunately common names can vary from place to place and a banana plant in Australia produces bananas to eat. Pictures and scientific names can help prevent confusion over common names. :)

Thanks for the check, mate!
I'll try to curb my laziness.
Maybe I'll learn something
;)
My gut tells me they're not getting enough light and/or water circulation, but I've got at least one fry and a big ball of green plants at the top of my tank. I'm just going to have to wait it out a bit.
I don't want to disturb what may be going on in the greenery.
I think this last few days has been a very important time for this tank as it has been female minnow bellies big...female minnow bellies small; Now again, female minnow bellies big... I hope whatever is going on will wrap up pretty soon so I can get some light on those lower plants and some more water circulating.

If I can get 7-9 more minnows I'll set up my 20 gallon.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back