Will's New Planted Juwel Rio 125- Plants And Pics Added!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fiskkeeperpro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Tank- Juwel rio 125
Lighting- 1x28watt t5 Juwel Nature tube (orangy colour), 1x28watt t5 Juwel daylight bulb (blueish colour) and only one reflector until the weekend.
CO2- Hydor CO2 Green NRG Natural System
substrate- Tetra plant complete substrate, black gravel and sand
background- Juwel black background (looks like bark)
High/Low tech?- No idea :blush: that will be left for you lot :p
filtration- Juwel internal 600lph, may buy a small external to run along with the internal in time- money is needed :lol:

*Pre waffle*

Last friday i collected my Rio 125 and cabinet in dark wood from my retailer. Friday night i made the stand and siliconed my str 450 backgrounds to the back of the tank and i left it to dry out. When i first opened the box i found no reflectors :crazy: turns out they are not supplied??? So on sunday, after going marine hunting i went to get 2 reflectors- the shop only had 1 :crazy: so i bought one and ive just got to wait for my parents to pick a reflector up for me at the weekend :hyper: (panic over).

31st march

Well i ordered my plants yesterday evening (sunday evening) and today i was bored so i decided to start setting it up :hyper:

I washed out my gravel and sand, laid the tetra substrate in and then put the gravel and sand on top. The black gravel is about 2mm big so that will be fine for cories that i plan to keep as well as the sand which will also be good and not damage their barbels.

I filled the tank about 2/3 of the way up and then i put in my marsh root. Then i added my CO2 system- whilst setting up the system i found out there were no suction cups :no: aso im going to have to email hydor and ask for them to send me some (i will trsut them as i got excellent service from them when i needed washers for my koralia pump for the nano reef).
The diffuser is quite noisey as its a bit like an air pump. Im not sure but i may get rid of it, whats the diffuser on the nutrafin system like? Is it electronic?

I got an email from greenline saying ill be getting my plants on wednesday before 1pm by Royal Mail special delivery :D . I will be recieving 80 plants, but i will leave it to you lot to hopefully id them as i have no idea about plant names. Eventhough ive read through lots of journals, im still no good at IDing :blush:

Here are some pics for the people who are pic maniacs, the water is really unclear as there is currently no filter running ue to the water not being filled up to the max. My parents think i dont have enough substrate in there so when i get my plants i will add some more gravel and tomorrow i will buy some more sand hopefully.

P1010234Medium.jpg

The tank from the stairs, empty

P1010235Medium.jpg

The tank straight on, the juwel backgrounds can be seen (sorry about the reflection)

P1010236Medium.jpg

My equipment ;)

P1010237Medium.jpg

My CO2 system- fermentation. Hopefully it will be good, i havent yet met anyone who has used it.

P1010238Medium.jpg

The lighting unit, the reflector is over the Daylight bulb as i thought this would be the most useful for the plants until i get another reflector. This would be the tube most over the plants anyway.

P1010240Medium.jpg

A full tank shot of a 2/3 full tank. As you can see, its very cloudy. The white bits at the bottom are air bubbles trapped between the substrate and the glass- will these pose any problems? You can see the wood slightly. Once filter in running and plants have been introduced i will post a clear fts and it will have fish in :yahoo:. I'm using mature media so no need for a cycle.
Do you guys think i need more substrate?

Well thats it for the moment ppl. Please post your comments and advice especially when plants arrive- it will hopefully be used.

Will

added more substrate today, i added all the rest of my black gravel and then got my dad to get me some argos playsand. Added the playsand over the normal sand, removed all air bubbles and then i added 1 plant from my old tank. I started adding CO2 with nothing in and in 2hrs i had a mist all over the top half of the water- the CO2.
Pics will be added after planting tomorrow. Substrate now comes to about 4-5cm above the planting sunstrate so i think all is ok. With the playsand, the tank looks far brighter and more pleasing to look at :) I might have to someday cover a lot of the gravel with playsand as i think it looks so nice...

Will

Well the plants arrived. I used about 3/4 of them and the rest are in a bucket of water as i wanted a free open space (the sand) i didnt plant there.

A pic:

P1010233.jpg

I dont know what i should do witht he rest of my plants, but hopefully the ones in my tank will grow out. I may add some mature filter media today and add a platy and 3 harlequins :hyper:

Please comment

Will

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back