Reset

Thank you. I've seen to the GBIF site before but the Encyclopedia of Life is a new one to me. Thanks for sharing.
They're really good to use, same with Inaturalist. My go-to is usually GBIF for biotope research, but it's always handy to check out a variety of sources.
 
They're really good to use, same with Inaturalist. My go-to is usually GBIF for biotope research, but it's always handy to check out a variety of sources.
I have a few tabs saved just for sites like this. I list a few in case you're interested.





 
I got this nice big piece of spider wood.
I think I'm gonna place one of the smaller pieces underneath this big piece to create a snarl of roots just above the substrate.
20260429_135006.webp
20260429_135018.webp
20260430_101336.webp
 
The Vals have filled in.
1000006789.webp


Stacking the wood worked nicely. Lots of gnarly roots.
20260530_131841.webp

Let me tell ya, that spider wood grew some nasty snot like fungus for about a week.
 
Looking great! 😄
 
Wow, that's a neat future setup!
We'll see if I can actually make it that pretty.
I always have a vision in my head of what an aquascape should look like, I just don't have the talent to put it together like some do.
For me using a rendering like this helps to refine my idea.
 
Forever plus one day lol.
The big piece of spider wood that's currently in the tank two weeks submerged for it to sink. I didn't do it in the tank though. I set up a tub filled with water and placed a full gallon jug of water on the wood to sink it. So it took about 8lbs of weight to keep it underwater.
I'm currently soaking another smaller piece of spider wood to add in, it's on day 13 if soaking. I checked it yesterday and it still floats. So maybe next week it will be ready.

I'm using spider wood which is known to be a light, less dense wood that tends to float. Other woods like mopani are much denser and for me those sink immediately.
 
We'll see if I can actually make it that pretty.
I always have a vision in my head of what an aquascape should look like, I just don't have the talent to put it together like some do.
For me using a rendering like this helps to refine my idea.
Yeah, my ideas and reality don't match up. Reality is sobering, lol.
 
Yeah, my ideas and reality don't match up. Reality is sobering, lol.
There's a new "aquascaping" book coming out I'm pretty excited about. It seems to line up with my ideas pretty well. I should make a thread about it.
 
on another note I noticed your avatar, you a Bears fan?
They are considering going to IN as Chicago/Arlington won't cover the cost of renovating or building a new stadium. They would be passing the buck over to taxpayers...and IL taxpayers are saying not in this economy!
 
on another note I noticed your avatar, you a Bears fan?
They are considering going to IN as Chicago/Arlington won't cover the cost of renovating or building a new stadium. They would be passing the buck over to taxpayers...and IL taxpayers are saying not in this economy!
Yes I was born and raised in the Chicago area so I'm a die hard Bearsssssss fan.
I think JD Pritzker is a jerk. All the legislature has to do is give the Bears a break on property taxes and they'll go to Arlington and build their own stadium. Soldier Field has been a joke for at least 30 years, even after the renovation. The smallest stadium in the NFL for one of the cornerstone franchises.
I wonder what Pritzker would do if the Cubs wanted to move?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top