Willow braches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

franky

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to add a section to my tank which simulates roots trailing into the water my idea was to silicon some willow branches to one of the glass sliders on the top of the tank, so they stand seporate in the water but but can be removed in one easy action,

Is willow a safe wood to use? will this poison my fish? is standard silicon safe to use?......... any alteranatives you can think of to simulate this effect?

if any of you guys can help im sure my fish would really apreciate it,

cheers Dudes and Dudets

I dont think im going yo use willow as dont want to risk poluting my tank, any ideas on what wood i can safely use?

As this is the DIY forum I assume you intend to find wood rather than buy it from your LFS.

I have always used dead oak - it is durable and long lasting. When looking for wood, pick pieces that are hard, dry and not too rotten. Also don't use freshly cut wood -wood that is still alive when emersed will rot quickly, though in the case of willow shoots may actually take root.

dead beech wood is fine, ...or is it birch :huh: , no, its beech?...birch?.......no beech. Its one of the two, but can't remember, someone else may know but I'll find out :rolleyes:

ste :look: :lol:

ste2k3 said:
dead beech wood is fine, ...or is it birch :huh: , no, its beech?...birch?.......no beech. Its one of the two, but can't remember, someone else may know but I'll find out :rolleyes:

ste :look: :lol:
It's Beech. Birch rots quickly.

Do not use willow!

Wife is the green thumb, but I do know that willow is one of the types of tree that has a large concentration of growth hormones.

GL

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back