Will this work?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

QualityAquatics21

Reaction score
Iā€™ve just set up an aquarium. Itā€™s a one gallon, no filter. Iā€™m currently cycling it. Would I need a filter for this tank? Inhabitants: a few cherry shrimp ( when itā€™s cycled)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 183
What exactly are you cycling?

Generally "cycling the tank" means that you are colonizing the bacteria in your filter. So a filter is important in any tank. You'll need a heater as well.

I'd say a 5 gallon tank is minimum for any kind of aquatic animal.

I wouldnā€™t go as far to say that 5 gallon is the minimum for any aquatic species, IMO 2.5 gallons, is the smallest. And as to the OP, no. Cherry Shrimp need a minimum tank size of at least 5 gallons, but 10 gallons is preferable. ;)

Iā€™ve just set up an aquarium. Itā€™s a one gallon, no filter. Iā€™m currently cycling it. Would I need a filter for this tank? Inhabitants: a few cherry shrimp ( when itā€™s cycled)
What are you growing your bacteria on?

I actually didnā€™t think of that... I have a few diy mini filter recipes I could try.

I would link if you wanted to get a filter, go with a sponge filter. They are relatively inexpensive, and they work great for any fish. (Almost.) :)

I actually didnā€™t think of that... I have a few diy mini filter recipes I could try.
IMO you don't really need a filter on that tank. It should be fine without it if you are just putting in some small shrimp.

means that you are colonizing the bacteria in your filter
Bacteria will colonise on any of the tanks surfaces, not just in the filter, so you can cycle a tank without a filter.

you don't really need a filter on that tank. It should be fine without it if you are just putting in some small shrimp.
No matter what size the species, you still need to have a filter. Clean water is a must for any healthy tank, no matter what size. And I still think that a 1 gallon tank is WAY to small for even a few Cherry Shrimp. But still, IMO. ;)

No matter what size the species, you still need to have a filter. Clean water is a must for any healthy tank, no matter what size. And I still think that a 1 gallon tank is WAY to small for even a few Cherry Shrimp. But still, IMO. ;)

I agree with you on the tank size, they should't sell anything smaller than 20L IMO.
But with the filter, all a filter does is provide water movement and remove particulates from the water column (but not the system it'self) and if maintained properly an extra surface for bacteria to grow. However there is plenty of surface area on the glass, plants, heater to "hold" bacteria, especially inn low stocked or small tanks.
With regular water changes (as with all tanks) the water will be no "cleaner" in an unfiltered or filtered tank.

People are sold filters on the premise that they are required to "clean" the water. They are not. They are good for providing water flow, removal of particulates, but they don't "clean" the water they just move the waste from the tank to the little box which doesn't remove it from the system and it still rots and creates ammonia at the same rate it would do if it settled out onto the gravel.

I agree, the main reason why it is a good idea, is because it provides necessary water movement, essential for any tank. You can have a tank with no filter, but itā€™s not recommend. :)

I agree, the main reason why it is a good idea, is because it provides necessary water movement, essential for any tank. You can have a tank with no filter, but itā€™s not recommend. :)

I would say it is, an air stone will do this just as well. And on small tanks probably not even required at all as the water movement isn't as "necessary" as you'd think, convection from your heater will provide sufficient movement of water in a small system.

But as we said above, a 1 gallon tank is pretty much only good for water changes. :)

Oh when I say small I mean 20L min. Anything below that doesn't exist in my world (or I like to pretend it doesn't. anything smaller is for cultivating plankton, brine shrimp or holding the tears of your enemies

I didnā€™t think of that, raising brine shrimp in a 1 gallon tank would be fun! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back