like the title says: heater
note that it will be under the bowl, also what wattage should be good? the bowl will have about 1 gallon of water after the gravel
It might work. I know those are superb for hermit crabs, but I've never heard of someone using it with a bowl. Should be alright since it's not in the tank itself. Anything under 2.5 gallons shouldn't have a heater in it. Is the room you're keeping the bowl in a constant warm temp? If so, you don't need a heater at all. I don't use heaters for any of my betta tanks.
It would be good for reptiles or as CatLover said, hermit crabs, because they are on the ground which would be an even temp. But bettas swim in the upper layers of water too, and they'd be colder than the botom and that could cause stress.
I use a heater in my betta tanks, which are both 1.5 gals or under. They are 25 watt heaters and work great. They're cheap too: my AquaOne was $24.95.
I'd go for a proper aquarium heater just to be safe.