Will Seachem Pristine help with detritus worms?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alli789

Reaction score
So I have what I believe to be detritus worms in my tank (tiny white hair looking worms). Yes, I'm aware that they are normal and harmless, but they are floating around in the water and climbing on the back wall of the tank, and I'm just not a fan of that. If they'd stay in the gravel, I wouldn't mind. I think they came from having a lot of waste in my substrate because until about a week ago I didn't really know how to properly gravel vac. (Now I do and let me just say, the water that's come out of the last two water changes was NASTY.) I know they're supposed to go away after water changes but it's been a few days and I don't see them disappearing. So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with Seachem Pristine. Will using that help get them to go back in the substrate where I can forget about them?
(For anyone wondering, my tank is fully cycled and has a small bioload, one betta in 10 gallons. Filtered and heated, 20% water changes weekly.)

Never used pristine and I'd be very weary of anything that claims to do what can be accomplished by a simple water change. detritus worms appear in tanks that have too much detritus and too little water flow. Most effective way to limit it eliminate detritus worms is limit detritus through water changes, decrease feeding and increase water flow. Do weekly water changes make sure to clean filter at least once a month, wash/rinse it in old tank water as to not kill the beneficial bacteria on the filter media. Limit feeding if one is feeding twice a day go to once a day if once a day go to every other day. Fish don't need to eat everyday definitely not twice a day. When feeding limit amount of food given, lastly increase water flow, either turn your filter up or get another one on the other end of your tank, this will not only suck up more detritus but create better circulation in your tank resulting in higher oxygen levels which will also decrease detritus worms.
Good luck!

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to reduce the worms.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to reduce the worms.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
I will try that not sure how the worms would get there but thnx for the advice

Frankly, I had to look up Pristine.
I can buy into bacteria that facilitates organic decomposition, but I'm skeptical about sludge removal as it's like saying we can make dirt just disappear.
I'm not one for dumping 'stuff' in the water and "biopolymers that trap particulates and increases water clarity"??? Hmm.
Once again, I'm with Colin - step up your housekeeping, get your tank nice and 'clean' and you should be good.

I will try that not sure how the worms would get there but thnx for the advice
Detritus worms are in all tanks and get transferred on plants, and the larval worms can be transferred in water when you buy fish. They are harmless and only ever make an appearance when the tank conditions and substrate deteriorate. Cleaning the gravel and doing water changes is the best way to deal with them.

Detritus worms thrive in aquariums. They are a natural part of the ecosystem, so there should really be no worry over their existence. These worms feed on fish waste and leftover food. Detritus worms are not parasites, so I don’t take extreme measures to get rid of them. Neither are they harmful to fish. But when infrequent cleaning causes their numbers to rise, they become pests.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back