Will It Be Happy?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FWFishLover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Would a SINGLE silver tipped shark live happily in a 20g or would it need a bigger tank (if so how big)
i'm assuming this is the correct place to post.......

is this what youre thinking of?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myfish/11-Silver-Tipped_Shark_Catfish_Arius_jordani.html

If so its a shoaling fish that gets huge!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myfish/11-Silver-Tipped_Shark_Catfish_Arius_jordani.html

yeah thats it
and ive heard the max is like 11 inches

Is it the bala shark or the actual fish also name shark catfish?, the latter will be as below.....

I think 2+ foot is more relaistic, even if it stayed at 11 inches it would be way to big for a 20g tank.

What other tank mates do you plan? out of curiousty, these will eat whatever they can fit in the mouths so fish need to be a similar size to be safe, these if i remeber correct become aggressive to there own kind so they will need to be kept by themselves anyways.

Oh and they are not aquarium fish ;)

yeah thats it
and ive heard the max is like 11 inches

Is it the bala shark or the actual fish also name shark catfish?, the latter will be as below.....

I think 2+ foot is more relaistic, even if it stayed at 11 inches it would be way to big for a 20g tank.

What other tank mates do you plan? out of curiousty, these will eat whatever they can fit in the mouths so fish need to be a similar size to be safe, these if i remeber correct become aggressive to there own kind so they will need to be kept by themselves anyways.

Oh and they are not aquarium fish ;)
idk if you mean 2ft tall or wide but the tank im talking about is 1 ft 3 inches long and 2 ft wide i plan on no tank mates due to larger size and i am rethinking which shark to get. see below

well i did some extra research right now and i couldnt find the silver tip on liveaquaria.com but i am also interested in these:
Albino Rainbow Shark (6")
Red-Tailed Shark (4")
any suggestions for a 15" tall and 2ft wide tank (20g)?

You really are asking questions for all the wrong fish, first a parrot fish and then a bala shark?? When you say "only and 8 inch fish" or "only an 11 inch fish" these are massive fish that need massive tanks. In your tank you want to keep fish that max out at 3.5 inches 4 inches maybe depending on how active said fish is also how many tank mates you want with it.

I dont really know what to suggest because there are no real wet pet fish that can be happy in a 2 foot tank. If you went for pairings there are a few options like convicts or dwarf pike cichlids (and I can not stress the dwarf aspect enough)

idk if you mean 2ft tall or wide but the tank im talking about is 1 ft 3 inches long and 2 ft wide i plan on no tank mates due to larger size and i am rethinking which shark to get. see below

No, i ment 2 foot+ with it usually getting much larger in respect of the silver tipped shark (shark catfish) if that actually was the fish you were on about.

Either way as wills have said, none of the fish you've suggested are suitable for a 2 foot tank.

In respect of what catfish you 'could' have, there are cory's which are stunning fish, you could have some of the smaller varieties of plecs as long as the tank has a sufficient sized filter but really your going to struggle getting alot of other catfish which will be suitable for a tank that size.

You really are asking questions for all the wrong fish, first a parrot fish and then a bala shark?? When you say "only and 8 inch fish" or "only an 11 inch fish" these are massive fish that need massive tanks. In your tank you want to keep fish that max out at 3.5 inches 4 inches maybe depending on how active said fish is also how many tank mates you want with it.

I dont really know what to suggest because there are no real wet pet fish that can be happy in a 2 foot tank. If you went for pairings there are a few options like convicts or dwarf pike cichlids (and I can not stress the dwarf aspect enough)
i said silver tipped shark not bala.
bala is also known as silver shark but its still a different shark than the silver tipped shark (Which are much smaller)
would pikes or convicts live happilly in that tank?

Common names get batted around all the time silver tipped shark is an other common name for balas. Just googled it though and the only thing that came up was the 24 inch columbian shark. Which one were you refering too? If it stays small and we are getting confused by common names it might turn out to be okay, can you give us a link to some pics or info regarding the one you want?

A pair of convicts would be okay for the 20g though you would be limited to just the cons and their fry as they are too agressive to live with anything is such a small tank, though a trio of sword tails might work as dithers but its a big risk and will depend on the individual convict personality. Also you would be able to do some of the dwarf pikes but not all pikes, dwarf pikes like C.Regini or C.Compreciceps get to around 3 inches which is ideal for you but compared to the bigger ones which will get too 12 inches again its a no.

Wills

Common names get batted around all the time silver tipped shark is an other common name for balas. Just googled it though and the only thing that came up was the 24 inch columbian shark. Which one were you refering too? If it stays small and we are getting confused by common names it might turn out to be okay, can you give us a link to some pics or info regarding the one you want?

A pair of convicts would be okay for the 20g though you would be limited to just the cons and their fry as they are too agressive to live with anything is such a small tank, though a trio of sword tails might work as dithers but its a big risk and will depend on the individual convict personality. Also you would be able to do some of the dwarf pikes but not all pikes, dwarf pikes like C.Regini or C.Compreciceps get to around 3 inches which is ideal for you but compared to the bigger ones which will get too 12 inches again its a no.

Wills
it stays small yes i have seen videos on youtube of a shark named a silver tipped shark that was like 6-8 ft long but that was an oceanic shark not the kind i want

Most reactions

Back