Wild Trout,Minnowsand Sticklebacks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
As some of you are probably aware, I recently caught some baby minnows,sticklebacks and wild trout for my back garden pond. I have around 50 in this pond(mixed). Due to their new environment where no predators exist, I'm just wondering how long these fish will live for, how big they will get and how many more will I eventually have? Of course the winter months will take it's toll, but nevertheless they are fed twice a day and they receive almost as much TLC as my tropicals. The water is purified via a pump and filtration unit-this is mainly for the abundant plants the pond has.As I say almost as much TLC.

How big is your pond? Being an angler I can tell you that if your pond is big enough then the trout will live for many years growing consistently year on year, they may live up to 13 years, the largest wild brown trout ever caught was a mighty: 19lbs 10ozs from Loch Awe, Scotland, obviously I doubt your pond will be big enough to allow this :lol: :lol:

Watch out for herons taking out your fish, The browns will become sexually mature at about 4 inches :thumbs: Incedently the when the brownies grow a bit larger they'll start munching on your minnows and sticklebacks.

Don't know about sticklebacks but I would say two or three years lifespan (its a guess though :) )

The pond is about 10'X4' William. Loch Awe, spend loads of my summer hols there. We usually stay at the horse stud farm just outside Dalmally. Lovely place. Thanks for the info. mate. I will keep a careful eye on the trout. May have to fish for them and eat them myself!!!! :lol: :lol:

Dragonslair said:
The pond is about 10'X4' William. Loch Awe, spend loads of my summer hols there. We usually stay at the horse stud farm just outside Dalmally. Lovely place. Thanks for the info. mate. I will keep a careful eye on the trout. May have to fish for them and eat them myself!!!! :lol: :lol:
Its a small world eh? Best of luck with your pond and watch out for those pesky herons!! :lol: :rolleyes: :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Back