Wild crayfish help please

So, she scared me half to death the other day. I saw her behind some driftwood with one of her main front claws in an unusual angle. Closer inspection showed the claw and accompanying arm to be completely disconnected from her body. ACK!! Then I noticed her other main front claw was also disconnected and she was eating it! AAAAAAAACK!! Her shell looks different too, all spotted now. I started frantically thinking of what could be wrong with the water or the environment. I'm diligent with water changes, water quality, water parameters, etc. After several heart-stopping moments of sheer panic, the idea occurred to me that she had possibly molted. Indeed, upon closer inspection, while there were claw arms on the sand in front of her, she also still had a pair attached where they ought to be. Whew! These are the moments when one is glad to realize one is just being an idiot.

After her molt, she's a little larger and she looks different. Her head shape from the top view is more defined and angular, her shell is more mottled and her broken leg is growing back. It isn't fully back yet, but it is much better than it was before. It's weaker and still missing segments, but I imagine after another molt or two, it will be back to normal.

Anyone know if crayfish stop molting once they are done growing? I always assumed they molted to grow, but I'm wondering now if they also molt to regrow lost limbs, refresh their exoskeleton, change color in a new environment, etc.

1695078478955.png

1695066885771.png

1695078539901.png

They keep moulting their entire lives. They don't moult as often when adults but still do it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back