Betta with crayfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently found a crayfish (i work at a retail pet store chain) tagged along with one of our goldfish shipments. He is about 1 inch long and white. I think he may be a white specter crayfish.

I read online from several sources saying that crayfish can be kept with bettas because they are both semi aggressive and will be able to defend themselves, but other sources say the crayfish will eat the betta. So can I keep them together or no and why?

Sidenote: can anyone identify my crayfish species?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 36
The rule "fins and claw don't go well together" is because creatures with claws usually nip the fins of sleeping fish at night. I would not risk any fish with crayfish, let alone a fish with long flowing fins.

The rule "fins and claw don't go well together" is because creatures with claws usually nip the fins of sleeping fish at night. I would not risk any fish with crayfish, let alone a fish with long flowing fins.
Understood, I absolutely won’t take the risk if theres any doubt that things will be peaceful. But now im curious where these rumors came from?

Understood, I absolutely won’t take the risk if theres any doubt that things will be peaceful. But now im curious where these rumors came from?
Russian troll farms, 4chan, government misinfo ops... who knows where misinformation on the internet comes from? But you did the right thing in checking it out.

That crawdad came in with goldfish you say ? The goldfish are probably USA farm raised so the crawdad is just an ordinary North American variety. That's my guess. I see them up here in the ditch when they let the water out in the fall. You would be surprised at the size of fish they catch.

My experience with crayfish is that they can be fast and lethal. I wouldn't put one in with my fish, especially if it is the native variety.

Crawfish will probably eat the betta once he gets bigger because the betta is kind of a slow swimmer. If the tank is big enough you might be fine because the betta tends to stay on top

Most reactions

trending

Back