wild bettas

well, i have a few days before the auction closes. i have never seen a wild betta with that coloring! i am testing to see how low the waters of the world actually lowers the pH of my tap... we'll see. i like the idea of having some wilds! :wub:

just a little tip about wilds, but you may not want to start with a fish that needs special water each time you ae going to do a water change. for a first wild i would suggest simplex, picta, falx, imbellis, smaragdina, or sp. kapuas.

good luck tho :D

Wow! That seller is semi-near where I live! I wonder if they have a fish shop where all the varieties they offer are on display!!!?? I am going to send them an email. :cool:

well, i was looking through the species list on ibc and it looks like all the types need a lower pH. for those of you who keep them, what pH do you keep them at, and how do you get it there?

ladyhawke said:
Wow! That seller is semi-near where I live! I wonder if they have a fish shop where all the varieties they offer are on display!!!?? I am going to send them an email. :cool:
[snapback]886548[/snapback]​

i'm getting a pair of smaragdina from the same seller. he's letting me come pick them up instead of having them shipped. sounds like he's got some sort of place to view what he has in stock because he said he was sure i'd see other fish i just had to buy too. unfortunately, he's probably right :whistle:

supersixone said:
ladyhawke said:
Wow! That seller is semi-near where I live! I wonder if they have a fish shop where all the varieties they offer are on display!!!?? I am going to send them an email.  :cool:
[snapback]886548[/snapback]​

i'm getting a pair of smaragdina from the same seller. he's letting me come pick them up instead of having them shipped. sounds like he's got some sort of place to view what he has in stock because he said he was sure i'd see other fish i just had to buy too. unfortunately, he's probably right :whistle:
[snapback]886685[/snapback]​

Well, he said it wasn't a storefront, but I could go check it them out. I guess they probably have them at their home and have a fish room.

ladyhawke said:
Well, he said it wasn't a storefront, but I could go check it them out. I guess they probably have them at their home and have a fish room.
[snapback]886751[/snapback]​

yeah, that's kind of what i was expecting, since i need to set an appointment with him to pick up the smaragdina. yay wild bettas :D

i ordered from him too supersix, but my parents wont let me go pick them up:( they think its all very wierd.

to lower the ph you can use IAL, Blackwater extract, oak leaves, or peat fiber.

newfishies said:
well, i was looking through the species list on ibc and it looks like all the types need a lower pH.  for those of you who keep them, what pH do you keep them at, and how do you get it there?
[snapback]886612[/snapback]​

If you're truly interested, email the seller and ask what he keeps HIS water at, and how he does it. Then you'll know what this particular pair is adjusted to and can decide if you'll be able to replicate that. Often, the tank raised wild types have been acclimated to parameters that differ from what their wild counterparts would need. Some acclimate better than others to changes as well (for example, I have burdigala, which in the wild require a lower ph, however the breeder kept them at 7.6 which is what my tap water is at, so I keep them in that as well without problems). Your best bet is to ask the breeder about what they've discovered with this species in an aquarium setting.

Fusca are a lovely species by the way, a good find. Oh if I only had the tank space..............

That's a very interesting looking type of betta. I think I like it lol.

I see people crossing splendid's with some of the other wilds to bring out certain colors and fin traits....I wonder what would happen if you crossed with one of these.

thanks for all the suggestions! i emailed the seller, so we'll see. i also asked for a little more info on their environment, tankmates etc. hopefully i'll hear something soon!
:D

whoo-hoo!!!! i won!!! :flex:

yay! these will be my first wild bettas! :flex:

they seller says he keeps them in 6.5-7.2 water, and they can be kept in pairs, groups or with community fish that they can't eat. they are also green in the face, but very iridescent!

i will be quite busy soon. i have 3 bettas coming in tomorrow, then thes guys, maybe next week, i guess, then i think another box of bettas from a breeder in september!!! :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back