why??

ferrikins

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had about 4 apple snails in the past and they have all died within weeks. there is never anything wong with the water, and there always anothe food.

so why do they keep dieing, I realy like the snails as I find them very good cleaner speshaly in fry tanks.

My ADF's are going strong and so are my shrimp, so why arn't any snails.

Most likely causes are copper in the water or a treatment you've used in the past. Most disease treatments are toxic to snails.

Nop not used any treament for disease (never realy needed to realy), as I've always been worryed about what it would do to my frogs, nor have I used salt for the same reason.

but the copper thing, hmm could be, we never use the hot tap at water changes, so where else would it be coming from.

If it's copper, the two likely possibilities are it's in the water naturally and not filtered from the source or there is enough left in your pipes even without the hot water running that it gets into your water. I'm not sure how much copper it takes to kill a snail, or how much could scrape off or be left as a residue in the pipes and make it into your tap water. I'm leaning towards a natural source, assuming the deaths are from copper.

It could also be you're missing something in the water like enough calcium carbonate though that's more indicative of holes or thin shells than dying. Copper is still my main guess. Most diseases show up as some kind of blemish or noticable difference in the snail and you'd probably have seen that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back