Why me! ARGH!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
I swear... wild bettas are the smartest fish I've ever seen, but yet, they're also the stupidest. I just went up to take some pictures, and found my largest falx juvie laying on the shelf next to his jar. :blink: Then he hopped off, a good 3 and a half feet to the floor, upon where I spend a good few minutes trying to catch him. I finally got him back in the water, but it doesn't look good. He's laying on his side and heaving. :sad: He was one of my favorites too... I was gonna keep him. :( Maybe he'll make it though, they're eerily strong.

The smart part is that I'm sure he was jumping for food, at some point. When, I don't know. I don't even know how long he was out of the water, because I fed him a half hour earlier or so. Anyways, I had the lid on his jar too, but obviously not completely on. :crazy: They're so brilliant, all the babies are starting to jump for worms when it's feeding time, just like their parents. :wub: But it looks like now I have to be more careful. :sly:

And on more note, somewhat unrelated... if you can get wingless/flightless (I have wingless) fruitflies for your bettas, do it. :nod: Mine go NUTS for them, especially the wilds. My foerschi were practically jumping out of the tank to get the flies off leaves and such. It's pretty amazing, and you can almost see their satisfied little smiles while they crunch away. :p

I'm sorry to hear that Julie, I hope he makes it.

Also Everything seems to love fruit flys, someone should start breeding them and freeze drying them.

Awww that's sucks your fish jumped out of his tank. I never understand why they want to go and do that. Such a shame, I hope he is ok.

lol I wonder if dehydrating them would work the same :lol: . I dunno how you would go about freeze-drying something..but I do have a food dehydrator on hand..and I just ordered a large culture of flies.

Tha'ts something to ponder..that would work well for going on trips (my fish will go with me when I visit my BF, who lives 6 hours away lol). Who would really want to take a bottle of live flies with them :rofl: .

Sorry about your falx, Julie. :/

Hopefully, he'll pull through. :flex:

BTW, did you buy the flies that I see by the checkout at Petco? :dunno:

He's lookin a little better - on his stomach now at least. So I am hoping... :unsure:

I actually didn't get those flies, I ordered a culture. However, I think they may be the same species - I'll have to check closer next time I'm at Petco.

we tried a culture of fruit flies recently and had no luck with them for some reason. none of the fish would even sniff at them. :dunno: wasn't sure if feeding the larvae or actual adults would have made a difference.

Most reactions

trending

Back