Why Do People Use Cat Litter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropic_john

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out why loads of people have the bottom of their tank with cat litter clay and capped with a substrate [usually sand]?

Does cat litter clay help hold plants down or something?

Cheers,

John.

Do they ? well that's a new one on me :lol:

I would love to know why :good:

I use it in my cats litter tray and to soak up oil in my job if we ever spill some in the plant rooms we work in.

as it takes on all the nutrients and stuff you add to the tank and its alot cheaper than like eco complete

The Clay in the cat litter will grab hold and release the nutrients slowly over a period of time, it will get these nutrients from the water column, such as nitrite, phosphate, iron, phosphorus etc. Its a cheap way to do things, but i wouldnt use it, i always get the thought it would clump up and make a right mess, i havnt tried it of course so i cant really speak, but i wouldnt want to move a plant and then cloud the water for the next 6 hours.

i use clay clumping cat litter capped with sand, but before using, i put the layer of cat litter down, and then i sprinkle it in KNO3, MgSO4, KH2PO4 and CaNO3. my plants grow amazingly, even the slow ones are growing really fast!

People use it for their catfish.

Lol jk I understand it is the same thing as laterite. You don't need it if you have a substrate with a hich CEC like eco or flourite but elsewise it is always nice to throw a layer of it down to help things along.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back