The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
inspired by a thread on another forum
the question arises of why fish blink?

in non aquatic life forms blinking of the eyelid is used to lubricate the eye and keep it moist as well as
clearing any dust etc from it, but with aquatic life such as a fish surely there is no need to lubricate the eye
so why do they blink?

fish dont blink they just roll there eyes back to clean them and also to put a moist protective covering over them its what it says in the book i got from the library on fish biology

cheers dane

why do fish yawn.. well look like yawning anyway. is it the same reasons humans do? lack of oxygen?

fish dont blink they just roll there eyes back to clean them and also to put a moist protective covering over them its what it says in the book i got from the library on fish biology

cheers dane

Hey dane, this is good information. What we'd really like to see here in the scientific section of the forums is a little more details. Specifically, rather than saying "a book" we'd really like to see if you can tell us the name of the book and the authors and the date the book was published. This is so that if someone else wants to go look up the exact same information you did -- so they can draw their own conclusions about the text -- that they can find it.

cheers there are many other reasons why they do this just carnt remember ill have a flick through the book tonight if i get a chance and ill put the chapther in my own words as its copyright if i copy

cheers dane

You can copy a bunch of sentences, so long as you properly cite where they came from (again, author(s)' name, title of the book, and publication date is probably enough). If you start copying entire pages, then there is an issue. But, a few sentences or even a few paragraphs is fine.

the wife took the book back to libary and is now in another part of the company i can remember that the book was older than me any ways found this on tinternet that has a total oppisite view on fish eyes
http://ebiomedia.com/gall/eyes/underwater.html
i think this is a bit more reliable info as these days you are able to see better within this worlds technology
what you think

cheers dane

why do fish yawn.. well look like yawning anyway. is it the same reasons humans do? lack of oxygen?
First of all thats never been proven :shifty:, and my goby does that after he sucks up some substrate, she kinda coughs it back up. lol.

Sorry to hijack the thread... :unsure:

The only fish I have ever seen blink are plecos.But my Discus casually 'yawn' sometimes.

My corys are the only fish that I ever see blinking and I've seen my rainbow yawn once. My rubber eel yawns when he wakes up, I think he must be stretching. Because he takes air from the surface or through his skin :alien: .

cheers
Mikaila31

i think yawning is like taking a deep breath, they get a lot of water in through there lungs. I also heard that it could also be a sign of gill flukes.

My cichlids 'yawn' quite a bit after they've been lip locking and fighting. It might be a way to reajust their mouth, or to stretch them out after being used so aggressively. Just my theory. As for blinking, I'm really not sure. Maybe they're winking at you, sayin hi? My cories blink as well, but it's still a mystery to me as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back