Why bother blanching?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mrs Pancakes

Reaction score
I don't blanch veggies for my girls (2 plecos and 3 mystery snails). I know, I know, it's against every Google search result out there, but I don't see a need for it. A peeled chunk of cucumber rarely makes it 24-hours, and it still has all its nutrients. I could see blanching something like broccoli that needs to be softened, but not everything, and certainly not cucumbers. Thoughts?

Blanching will soften the veggie and help Suckermouth fish / Shrimp "Hand" to costume it easier. And i dont believe my Veggie since some of them might be Contaminated with Pesticide on skin area. Like cucumber, i always cut the Skin Area & Blanch them for 2 Mins.
My old CAE finish them in 3 Hour and all i can spot is Cucumber Seed, the win win situations is my Betta Costume the Seed. So.... Idk
My really old tank 30 Gallon 1 Betta & 4 CAE (I gave my CAE Away After i learn that their Size is much Bigger than Juvenile Stages) :rofl:

You dont have to give them vegetables, buy algae wafer for them, they’ll like it.

They still need veggies to make their diet more rich in nutrients.
Cucumbers, zucchini, potatos, carrots, spinach, kale, de-shelled peas can also be fed. Did I forget about something?
I fed my pleco cucumbers and they hate it :/

They still need veggies to make their diet more rich in nutrients.
Cucumbers, zucchini, potatos, carrots, spinach, kale, de-shelled peas can also be fed. Did I forget about something?
My Green Jade Shrimp eat Banana & Brocolli too ! I am so Suprised the first them i fed them

My Green Jade Shrimp eat Banana & Brocolli too ! I am so Suprised the first them i fed them
Yes yes yes! Thank you! I knew I forgot about something :rofl: They can also be fed bananas and broccoli too. I'm aware also they can be fed watermelons and melons.

I fed my pleco cucumbers and they hate it :/
They need some time to get used to the food. I mean its something new to them, normally my guppies (my very first fish) did not want to touch algae wafers and frozen food until I introduced my swordtails to the tank and then they all started feeding on different foods.

I fed my pleco cucumbers, and they hate it :/
You don't have to give them vegetables, buy algae wafer for them, they’ll like it.
My plecos won't eat algae wafers. Algae is only a small part of a pleco's diet, and I allow enough of it to grow in my tank as a natural part of the ecosystem.

I feed my pleco blanched cucumbers. I guess I do it, because it softens it and it gets all of the bad stuff out of it.

My pleco also has algae and driftwood to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back