Why Are My Fish Suddenly Fighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oh yes I already went through the water change situation thing. They are getting the vacuuming and regular water changes. Not frequent vacuuming and not frequent filter changes either. I have been through that too. This has been a total learning experience. Well It is a good thing to know that I do not have to run out and spend a astronomical amount at the local pet shop for a light tube. I was afraid I would have to. I really appreciate all the help and input you all give me. This is a total learning experience and actually I do not believe my brother-in-law did not take care of these tanks as well as I am. That is were I received the tanks in the first place. I do have one more question. When I got the tanks the small 15 gallon tank had a small issue with algae and I have scrubbed and soaked and ran under very hot water but I cannot get rid of it any idea? It is on the plastic plant. There is an additive tablet that fizzes that says it get rid of algae and is safe for tanks and fish but do I trust it? I am very skeptical unless you people give it the thumbs up. So what do you think. I cannot remember exactly what it is called but it is a very big brand name. If I go into the store I will write it down and post it later. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your input. Thanks again. 

I don't use 'algaecide' products.  There's always some unwanted side effects.

If its a plastic plant, remove the offending decor, and put it into a bleach solution (unscented, non-additive laden.. standard 'regular' cheap bleach).  Add the bleach at a 1:19 ratio.  So, 1 oz bleach to 19 oz water.  Then let the plant sit in the bin for about 1-2 minutes.

A little scrub after that should remove all that stuff... then rinse the plant under some tap water.  Then add tap water to a container, add some dechlorinator (double regular dose) and put the plant in that for a bit.  Then replace the plant into the tank. Algae will be dead, if not removed. :good: 

Frequent gravel vacs is GOOD for a tank.  You want to remove detritus whenever possible.  So, gravel vaccing with EACH water change is always a good thing.  (Not sure why you think it would be bad.)  Rinsing the filter media in OLD TANK WATER each month is fine, but more frequent is not a bad thing either.  The key is to NOT remove the media and replace it. The media holds the good bacteria you need for your nitrogen cycle.  Generally, you leave the media in place until it starts to fall apart.  Then you replace it slowly over a period of several weeks to a few months with fresh.  You never want to replace more than about 25% at one time.

What is your exact stock in the 15 and 50 gallon?

Undergravel filters aren't very common anymore, due to their inefficiency, most people find HOB, sponge, internal or external filters better. The problem with undergravel filters is that the gravel is used as the filter media for the beneficial bacteria, this has two disadvantages... one, the filter clogs easily and two, disturbing the substrate can upset the bacteria leading to spikes in ammonia and/or nitrite. 
Changing to a HOB, sponge, internal or external filter would be the best move. I've never used one, but from what I have heard aqueon HOB filters are good quality.
When you change to a different filter, keep the current filter running for awhile if possible, this stops the fish from having to go through a major recycle. The other option is that you do a fish in cycle, testing the water daily and doing lots of water changes.

I know it's been a while since I been here but a lot has been going on. The aquariums are doing awesome so thanks for all your advice it has been very beneficial. My 50 gallon tank has a large pacosimus and bala shark and 4 tetra and angel  and a yellow that I have no idea what it is. Then in the 15 gallon right now I have a Chinese bottom feeder and a zebra and a molley. I plan on getting another molley and another zebra to replace the ones I lost due to ick that came with the tank from my brother in law. I have treated it and it is gone. I know my spelling on these fish are probably are way off but I hope you get the idea. Kia Ora what is a HOB filters? Thanks for the 19 to 1 bleach ratio cleans for the algae issue I was having that really took care of the problem. Have been doing the regular vacuuming and rinsing of all the plastic plants and décor`. I do have one new issue my pacosimus is being a poo he is pulling my plastic plants out of their weights. Is there a glue that I can glue them back into their weights?
My daughter is going to be taking the 15 gallon tank soon and I am going to be replacing it with a 20 gallon tank and will be keeping the fish and adding maybe 4 more. I will also be keeping the aqueon filtration system, the new heater I am purchasing, new rock, new plants, and new décor`. Was wondering about these exterior thermometers I have seen are they any better then the little bobber type?

Boy have I grown since the last time we have talked HOB are for me. I have lost the undergravel filtration system out of my 50 gallon tank and have move to a fluval system. I am really liking these and am watching the progression of the new submersible fluval filtration system. I am in the process of moving my 15 gallon tank to my living room from my bedroom and will remove the undergravel filtration system at that time. Then I will be setting up another 20 gallon tank in the place of the 15 gallon tank. I was so blessed I bought the 20 gallon tank for a women that raised Cichlids and she stopped and was selling everything. Well she through in a whole lot of freebies, she was extremely gracious. I could set up a few tans with all the decoration pieces and not cheap pieces. The tank also came with a LED white & blue light, yep I am hooked and am going to be changing over to that too.

For what I have in my tanks my 50 gallon I have a albino with a yellow tone that I have posted picks in another post for assistance in finding what it is and 3 Buenos Aires Tetras, a Bala Shark, an Angel fish and a Hypostomus Plecostomus. My 15 gallon I have a Chinese bottom feeder, 3 Dalmatian Mollies, 2 Red Wag Mollies, 2 Zebra Danios and 2 Barbs.   

Welcome to the MTS club. :lol:

Ok I am going to have to ask because I am a natural blonde hidden in a brunette bottle. So what is MTS Club?

Multiple Tank Syndrome

Well yep that would be me and I actually opened my mouth the other day when a guy said does anyone want an aquarium. I quickly said "I do!"  You would have though I was blissfully getting married or something stupid like that and this friend of mine looked at me like are you out of your mind but she has three super large tanks. Where mine is the largest hers is the smallest then gets bigger. I think the only reason she looked at me like that is because she was going to say that and I beat her to it. Hahaha  Now I just have to figure where I would put more? I live in a one bedroom apartment.

When floor space becomes limited, build vertical. :lol:

Well a friend of my came over and he thought I was crazy for removing my underground filtration system. Am I??? My tank doesn't seem to be staying as clean as it was before?

Undergravel filters were all the rage, and are very good... but aren't possible with rooted plants and really weren't ideal for certain fish, either.   What filter do you have now?  When was the last time you cleaned it (meaning declogged)?

The old undergravel filters had to stay well vacuumed to run at peak efficiency, and to do their job best... but they also were good at making you 'think' the tank was clean, because all the gunk was sucked to the bottom - out of sight.  Unless you actually vacuumed well, it wasn't nearly as clean as you might have thought.  

So, crazy?  No.   But, there might be a reason for it not looking as clean.

Did you do a complete swap by taking out the under gravel filter and replacing with a new HOB filter?  And by "not staying as clean as it was before", are you seeing cloudy, almost milky water?

The undergravel should be removed ASAP. Gasses can build up under the plate(s) and when they get released could cause problems.

You didn't say how the tank did not seem as clean. Is it the water or the gravel?

It sounds like the new filter was put in when the undergravel failed. Since you are losing most of the established biological filtration by stopping the UGF, you may be going through a cycle and that could be causing cloudy water.

If the gravel is dirtier, it's probably because you don't have the waste getting sucked into the gravel by the UGF and the new filter is probably not providing adequate filtration.

Let me emphasize this. A broken down UGF left sitting in a live tank can be very detrimental. Often times leading to a catastrophic event with lots of loses.

Without the undergravel it is not as clean. The water is but the gravel is full of poop instantly and I am having to clean the gravel constantly to keep it clean. The plastic plants and the décor have to be removed weekly because they become brown with yuck. I am very sorry I did remove undergravel filtration system. The Fluval filtration system is suppose to be one of the upper grade filtration systems and it is one of those biological filtration systems with 5 stages and it moves the quantity of water required in ratio. I was just more satisfied with the cleanliness of the tank with the undergravel filtration system. I have never had any gas build up. I always put my vacuum in where the tubes and would suck as much yuck out before vacuuming the rocks. I always take out at the minimum 6 gallons of dark water that way, 3 under the gravel and 3 above the gravel in the 15 gallon and more on the larger tanks but I clean them well and I take all the décor out and clean them also.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back