Why Are My Fish Suddenly Fighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

franny7261

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello my name is Fran and I am new to being a fish owner, My brother-in-law moved to Arkanasa in June or July. The Move of the 15 and 50 gallon tanks were without issues. I was living with my daughter at the time and things went south and again they were moved without complication. Things have been well and doing well. When their regular food ran out about a month or less ago I opted to changed their food to one that claimed less waist.  Two days ago I noticed two of my silver dollars were wounded on their left sides in the same spots. I just don't know what could have changed that would have made them form these wounds or became aggressive. I have a large yellow fish that has ADHD in other words very active. The tank is not in direct sunlight. I am stumped and worried.

Back to me. I am a 52 year old retiree and loving it, Took on the fish and tanks as for something to do and distress. I am hoping this forum can help me to be a better tropical fish parent.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

What exactly are the fish you have in this tank?

A pic of each, if you aren't sure of the specie would help.

What Eagles asked, and how many of each would also be useful to know, as some fish when not kept in proper numbers can start showing aggression.

Also welcome to TFF! I hope you enjoy it here :)

:hi: to the forum.

If you can answer the questions asked above that would help us find out what the problem is :) If you could also include a picture of the injuries it could help us determine what caused them.

I took a few pics and I am down loading them now from my phone to my computer. These fish have been in these odd numbers for some time. Theses is a large pacosomus (?) one split tail, one large yellow fish, and four silver dollars. Still downloading.

finally I did it old school. Boy thank God. So you should be able to see the fish closest on the left has a red mark going almost from top to bottom of the fish. Please Help. I know it is not the big guy. He just hangs around. I fear it is the big yellow gut if anyone.

Attachments

• 1481262_641151432599538_2130242984_n (1).jpg
    1481262_641151432599538_2130242984_n (1).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 1503673_641151409266207_436791656_n.jpg
    1503673_641151409266207_436791656_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 132
TBH your pics are too blurry to be able to see anything, sorry.

What type of pleco do you have? Is it a common? If so, it is much too large for your tank!

Your yellow fish, does it look like either of these fish?
Three_spotted_gourami.jpg

01_HPIM0708.JPG

yellow-lab-african-cichlid_5588652.jpg

What size is the tank the fish are in?

Hi welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure your fish are not silver dollars, I think (only a guess from the pics) you possibly have African moon Tetra (Bathyaethiops caudomaculatus) or of similar family, a black skirt tetra (gymnocorymbus ternetzi), the forked tailed fish I really couldnt guess at there are so many
smile.png
, its the african moon thats the injured one. Their could be a few reasons for a wound such as this.

a) the fish had a scale damaged and the other fish started picking at it and made the wound worse.
b) Your heater does not have a cover on it, so it could be a heater burn.
c) you have a bacterial problem with the water (which cannot be seen or tested for) or water quality problem which you could test for with a test kit (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings) resulting in this type of wound.
d) it could also be stress related.

a-c I would recommend doing a daily water change of 10-15% for at least a week see if there are any improvements, give the gravel a good vaccing too, if there are no improvements then you can try a medication, melafix or esha 2000 is a very good broad general medication I have used before with an unknown problem.

d- You could try adding some plants, wood and other decor to give the fish some hiding places so they are not "out in the open" all the time, make them feel safe and reduce stress.

I hope this helps :)

Looks like a common pleco and Buenos aires tetras Kind of aggressive fish.

ok this is the yellow fish. I will post the split tail in the next post file too big. 
photo.gif

ok and here is the split tail. Thank you all for all the help I will try everything.

Attachments

• 1483059_641640512550630_950852427_n.jpg
    1483059_641640512550630_950852427_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 995585_641640575883957_1693302366_n.jpg
    995585_641640575883957_1693302366_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 1503824_641641332550548_1127230108_n.jpg
    1503824_641641332550548_1127230108_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 124
  • 1517607_641641089217239_160699825_n.jpg
    1517607_641641089217239_160699825_n.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 117
They do look like Buenos Aires Tetra's. I have 3 in a hospital/quarantine tank and they seem to be pretty rowdy!

Sorry no idea on the yellow guy, the spit tail looks like it could be a scissortail rasbora (Rasbora trilineata)

Thanks for all the great tips . My fish are looking lots better. I have another question. I have gone to the library and have ordered a book " freshwater aquariums for dummies, 2nd edition" anybody read it? is it helpful for this dummy? Also I am looking into buying a book called "The everything aquarium book". Anyone have an opinion on that one?  Then there are a lot of different kind of air tubing out there blue black and clear. Mine are getting green. I want to replace them any suggestions? I am going on the beginning of the month when I get paid to buy plants is there thins I should stay away from?  Fish Gatherer thank you for naming my fish. Ya that albino yellowish thing I have not found any where. do you think that tank is at its max for fish it has that pleco the scissortail four of the tetras and another fish unidentified. what is your advice. I also have a 15 gallon tank that only has a bottom feeder and one small zebra. it has a treasure chest and a rock in it. I am putting a pirate ship and some plants in it to. how many fish could I add to that one? Again thank for all your help. 

Hi welcome to the world of fish as I call it I would help you but I do not keep that kind of fish sorry:(
In your 15g it all is up to how big they grow look at the pet store they should tell you or you could just ask us:)
If you know what type you might be giting

snork6 said:
Hi welcome to the world of fish as I call it I would help you but I do not keep that kind of fish sorry:(
In your 15g it all is up to how big they grow look at the pet store they should tell you or you could just ask us:)
If you know what type you might be giting

TBH I don't recommend asking the LFS, unless you're sure you can trust them. A lot of LFS are only trying to make money and they often don't have the best interests of the fish at heart.

franny7261 said:
I also have a 15 gallon tank that only has a bottom feeder and one small zebra. it has a treasure chest and a rock in it. I am putting a pirate ship and some plants in it to. how many fish could I add to that one?

Glad your fish are better!

Do you know what type the bottom feeder is? Is it a type of cory?
The zebra, are you referring to a zebra danio? If you are, unfortunately they need schools of at least 6 and at least a three foot long tank :/ sorry.

The numbers of the fish really depends on the type of fish. 
Techinically, you could 13 inches of adult slim-bodied fish in that tank, though that is just a rough estimate and you may be able to have more or less depending on the species.

franny7261 said:
I am going on the beginning of the month when I get paid to buy plants is there thins I should stay away from? 
Generally plants with shiny leaves are non-aquatic, therefore will rot in your tank. It would be best for you to stay away from red plants too (unless they're cryptocoryne wenditii or red tiger lotus) as most require high lighting and CO2 additions.
Apart from that, most should be suitable :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back