Why Are My Fish Suddenly Fighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate the help. Being new to this is kind of a pain. I love my fish and I didn't realize how much until they came down sick. It really bothered me. So I am doing everything in my power  to make sure that nothing like this happens like this again.

I know the feeling, good thing is you came here and asked for advise! :)
You are doing great, don't worry, we all do mistakes!

Did anyone know what kind of air tubing to use? I have noticed black blue silicone clear????

The type of airline tubing doesn't really matter, they all do the same thing :)

Its down to personal preference really. 

Yup.

The black are nice in that they can blend into the background better than clear, believe it or not, if you have a dark background.  (I have black and the black tube is completely invisible unless I am right at the tank looking specifically for it.

Not to mention these are schooling fish, they should be kept in groups of at least 6 individuals. the main reason for their aggression was that their numbers were too low. being in a group of your own species makes you less aggressive towards one individual and lessens aggression between fish.
Im afraid your gonna have to rehome the ones you don't want since Im afraid your tank cannot fit 3 groups of 6+ individuals. 

Red cross tetras or Buenos aires tetras do occupy the same level as the scissortail rasbora which is in danger of bumping the other school as scissortails do get skittish

After looking at multiple sites with equipment for freshwater aquariums. I believe I have a gravel vacuum` that came with the tanks. Does anyone have any real idea how to use this? I want to vacuum` both my tanks today. I think that will help. I am going to get some tap water conditioner so I can refill with just tap water since I will probably be taking the tank down pretty good. 

A gravel vac can CERTAINLY help, and should be part of normal tank maintenance.

The key is you need to create a siphon... Ultimately, are you looking at either 'sucking' on the end of the tube out of the water, until the water in the tube is lower than the level of the tank... or if you have a 'one way valve', you can just 'pump' the vac to create the siphon. 

Something like this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rny12X9KaI[/media]

Note:  This is just the first video I found, not necessarily the 'best' out there.

ok I vacuumed out the tank. That was interesting. Payday I am going to get some plants. I have a questions do you need "Pro Carb Under gravel, Pro Carb Zeolite Under gravel or Pro Zeolite Under gravel"? Or any type of fertilizer for the plants and if so what kind?  Another question do you need a stress coat and is there one brand better than the other?

stress coat is dechlorinator, so it is needed, but other dechlorinators are available

personally, i dont use undergravels, i just use normal gravel then add everything else via the filtration system(s)

Thanks for the great video. the one with the jerking motion worked well with me. How often do you vacuum` your tank? I have a book "Fresh water aquariums for Dummies" I haven't gotten too far but it says to take 10 % of the water out each week and 25% out monthly? Do you do that? This is beginning to sound like a lot of work. Please let me know your opinion. Oh and what about these algae be gone tablets? Are they worth buying?

water changes are essential. 10-30% a week is standard and a larger water change once a month is also standardish. routine maintenance

never tried the tabs, unlesss you have algae problems i wouldnt worry

franny7261 said:
Thanks for the great video. the one with the jerking motion worked well with me. How often do you vacuum` your tank? I have a book "Fresh water aquariums for Dummies" I haven't gotten too far but it says to take 10 % of the water out each week and 25% out monthly? Do you do that? This is beginning to sound like a lot of work. Please let me know your opinion. Oh and what about these algae be gone tablets? Are they worth buying?

gravel vac everytime you water change - weekly.
I change 25% weekly
50% monthly
75% semiannually.

I add dechlorinator.  But I try to keep chemical additions to the tank at a minimum.  I add ferts to some tanks - high light only - but not to all.  Adding chemicals causes more trouble than it helps, imho.

Thanks for all the input. I see I do have a challenge on my hand. I am disabled so that is why this will be a challenge but it will be good for me too. I really appreciate all your help, all of you. Thank you.

Have you gotten a 'python'? or a DIY python... that will make the process MUCH simpler and you will find yourself not dreading a water change, even the larger volume ones...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back