Why Are My Fish Suddenly Fighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A vacuum that hooks up to the sink will make your life much easier. That's a great suggestion. I will also add that reduction in the number of fish in the tank will help keep the maintenance need lower. I learned the joys of "understocking" a long time ago. The fish are happier and healthier and your maintenance is less because you are dealing with less waste.

Keep taking the advice. It is priceless at this point in your keeping. Also keep asking questions. Books are great for info, but having a live reply is even better because it is case specific.

I always like to stick my oar In but not to say I'm right, just as another perspective. I've been keeping fish for only 2 1/2 - 3 years and to this point have never done a weekly water change (unless after medication). At the very most I do them every 3 weeks and take out about 40 % of the water. Before anyone asks I've only had 1 case of ich, that is what the medication was for. And as a last nail in my own coffin, I did a fish in cycle.

Like I said, i only commented to show you that although there are reccomendations, I didn't follow them as I didn't no about them until about a year ago. End of the day I still got a tank full of fish, all happy and colourful.

Once a tank is matured, it is not "as necesary" to perform weekly water changes. But in order to keep your tank as close to natural as possible (which is what a responsible fish keeper should do), water should be changed just as if it were a natural body of water with rain, evaporation, and the like. Also, even though it is possible to cycle with fish, it is not the best for the fish in question due to the stress the fish endures while being put through the chemical changes in the water as it's own waste decays and is not broken down quickly.

It is all possible, but not the best way.

typically you can put in one fish per inch, per gallon of water. Example. if you have a 30 gallon tank, you could put in approximately 25 one inch fish, like a molly or platy, etc. I subtracted 5 gallons for the space your gravel and décor will take up. This is sufficient if you have adequate filtration and do regular water changes. Hope this helps.

Mollies and Platys will grow to be two inches. And I personally hate this inch per gallon rule. It overstocks most tanks because people underestimate size and growth. Bad things happen with 25 fish in a 30 gallon tank unless they are guppies or neons unless a large amount of care is taken. The maintenance needed when you run right up to the limit of the tank is much higher than that of a lightly and responsibly stocked tank.

Incidentally, most platies will grow to closer to 3 inches, and quite a few mollies can grow over 4 inches long.

For example:
Platies: http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Xiphophorus-variatus/

Maximum Standard Length
Male 2″ (5cm). Female 2.8″ (7cm).

Black Mollies: http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Poecilia-sphenops/

Maximum Standard Length
Male 3.2″ (8cm). Female 4.8″ (12cm)

Sailfin mollies: http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Poecilia-latipinna/

Maximum Standard Length
Male 5″ (12.5cm). Female 4″ (11cm)

Well vacuuming on a weekly basis and changing filters frequently. I do have a question about underground filtration systems. I have older systems and a lot of the pet stores are not selling them any more and a lot of the  on line stores are only selling Lee's. Does anyone know where I can get parts and pieces to these older models. I live in Polson, Montana so probably a on-line store would be the best. I am in need of carbon cartridges and some tubings and some elbows. Multiple Ideas would be a good idea. Thanks for all your help. :)

You should not be changing your filters at all. They are what contain the bacteria that you need to keep the tank cycled.
I don't know anything about undergravel filters, sorry :(

oh ok will not change the filters so often. Did get a couple of mollys and a couple of palties then I got a zebra  Oh can't remember what she called it to go with my other one but it is being very aggressive toward the other one and the other one is not looking so great. I am worried. It is pretty mellow and the other one is pretty spastic. Do you think it will be ok? All the other fish are doing ok. I got some plastic plants for all the aquariums at the suggestion of the store. I also have a couple décor items coming so the fish have somewhere to hide. They are looking really nice will post when done. Really excited. In the near future looking for a new tank possibly. I am hooked. I have another question about auto feeders. I have a month long vacation planned in the future. Has anyone tried them? I figured I would have someone fill them weekly? I would try them one tank before buying them for all tanks. That is the suggestion of the store. That was the only suggestion.

I have two tanks a 50 gal. and a 15 gal. tank. The 50 gal. tank has a sufficient amount of fish but the 15 gal. tank only had a zebra and a Chinese bottom feeder. I am not sure exactly sure whom it was that suggested I added fish but I also consulted the pet shop whom also agreed that 5 more fish max. would be appropriate to add to the 15 gal. tank. I added one zebra and two mollies and platies. Unfortunately the zebra I had in the tank died but I assumed it might because it was very lethargic compared to the new one I added to the tank and had been since I got the tank from my brother-in-law back in March. I will replace the zebra but I will not added any more fish to that tank. I am done buying fish. I have bought some plastic plants like the pet store suggested and a couple of hiding places so they are decorated completely. I would add pic of the tanks as I am very pleased with the way they have turned out but I cannot figure it out so I will work that out. There is one thing I am adding to the 15 gal. tank and that is a filtration system. It has a under gravel filtration system but I feel it is not enough. The system I am adding is a Aqueaon (?). I have one on the 50 gal. and I really like the way it works and the system that was on the 15 gal. went down and needed to be replaced so I have decided to go with this one. I wish that I could find a place that I could find a pet shop that I could find that supplies under gravel filtration system parts like carbon cartridges, tubing, ect. So if anyone can help me with that I would really help me with that I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all your help and input up to now.

For pictures you can upload them onto a photo sharing website such as photo bucket then link it here :) Sorry am not sure about the other things!

Hello again. All has been going well in fish land. Well after my shower this morning the light in my 50 gallon tank went out. Yikes! Problem is I am on Social Security Disability and I only get paid once a month on the third of each month and if I am lucky my payee will deposit my spending money by the 7th of the month. So how bad is it going to be for my fish to go that long with out a light? If It is not a really a good idea for this to happen I suppose I could barrow some money from a friend. I do not want to endanger the health of my fish. I do have a dear friend that would do that for me and I have found a great place that has really reasonable prices. "That Fish Place That Pet Place"  If you know of any place that can beat there prices let me know. All advice accepted. Thanks.

You don't have to have a light, but it is good to have to give them a sort of cycle of day and night. I don't think it's so important though that you need to borrow money from a friend.

Some other good online places are big al's pets & drfostersmith

No... you do not need a light.

*sigh* your fish need regular water changes. I hope this is happening.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back