Why are my Amazon swords dying ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

more light and iron based plant fertiliser will help your sword plants.
Really more light ? I honestly thought they was getting too much light lmao thatā€™s how little I know about plants ahahahah my tabk is in a bay window so they get lots of natural light well as much as you can expect from the uk and I keep my tank light on around 12-12 would more light not be bad for the fish ?

If you have your lights on for 12 hours a day then I would not have more light tbh

In fact I normally see most members having lights on for 7-8 hours, myself included.

Direct sunlight is the leading cause of algae issues btw

Aside from possible algae issues, too much light can be bad for fish, by that mean in intensity or brightness of light especially if you have light coloured sand or substrate, make livestock more stressful.

If you have your lights on for 12 hours a day then I would not have more light tbh

In fact I normally see most members having lights on for 7-8 hours, myself included.

Direct sunlight is the leading cause of algae issues btw

Aside from possible algae issues, too much light can be bad for fish, by that mean in intensity or brightness of light especially if you have light coloured sand or substrate, make livestock more stressful.
My backing is black and my gravel is black and white my tank light isnā€™t bright to be honest Itā€™s only a 3ft light in a 5ft tank and algae isnā€™t dangerous is it ? I donā€™t have any algae atm so Iā€™m guessing my pleco is doing his job, donā€™t Marimo moss reduce algae? As itā€™s a form of algae itself? Or am I misinformed

Would have to say that sunlight on the aquarium doesn't cause algae. An imbalance in co2/light/nutrients does. Sunlight on the aquarium means you're getting a lot of light and so you would need a good amount of c02 and ferts to balance it. Most people dont provide these two things and so if they were getting too much light (because of sunlight on the tank), then theyd likely succumb to algae issues.

12 hours light is too much but this doesnt mean your sword will have difficulty growing. It does mean theres a chance you'll get some algae issues in the future.

Would have to say that sunlight on the aquarium doesn't cause algae. An imbalance in co2/light/nutrients does. Sunlight on the aquarium means you're getting a lot of light and so you would need a good amount of c02 and ferts to balance it. Most people dont provide these two things and so if they were getting too much light (because of sunlight on the tank), then theyd likely succumb to algae issues.

12 hours light is too much but this doesnt mean your sword will have difficulty growing. It does mean theres a chance you'll get some algae issues in the future.
This is for plant health rather than fish health? My fish are priority and donā€™t want to start messing with there water or routine for the benefit of my plants

Indeed the livestock do come first but one has to remember that live plants helps the livestock as well, best of both worlds really.

@mbsqw1d is providing additional information which actually is accurate and itā€™s for the benefit of everyone reading this thread, a little extra knowledge to store in your head is always good ;)

But would still suggest reducing the light time down from 12 hours to maybe 8 hours as this will help prevent you from having algae problems in future.

And also the addition of Seachem flourish root tabs into the substrate near your sword plants will be of benefit for those to bring them back and wonā€™t affect your livestock at all.

No one is suggesting you to change your water or your routine just changing the light timing and adding of root tabs for the swords is all.

This is for plant health rather than fish health? My fish are priority and donā€™t want to start messing with there water or routine for the benefit of my plants
The only controversial system used to promote plant growth which could have negative impact on fish is co2 injection and/or the use of glutaraldehyde (Seachem Excel).
Dosing fertilizer for the plants, such as Seachem Flourish, is widely accepted as safe for fish.
12 hours of lights without any dimming / ramping up or down, may have negative affects on both plants and fish. Depends how intense the lighting is

Indeed the livestock do come first but one has to remember that live plants helps the livestock as well, best of both worlds really.

@mbsqw1d is providing additional information which actually is accurate and itā€™s for the benefit of everyone reading this thread, a little extra knowledge to store in your head is always good ;)

But would still suggest reducing the light time down from 12 hours to maybe 8 hours as this will help prevent you from having algae problems in future.

And also the addition of Seachem flourish root tabs into the substrate near your sword plants will be of benefit for those to bring them back and wonā€™t affect your livestock at all.

No one is suggesting you to change your water or your routine just changing the light timing and adding of root tabs for the swords is all.
I mainly went with a 12 -12 being a natural cycle of the sun I assumed that being a near equator days are pretty much 12-12 and it suits my life for example I leave for work t 6 am and return from work at 6pm so itā€™s just easy that way and my fish have learned that light on in the morning is feeding time and light the off on the evening is feeding time and they will not eat if this is not kept I know it would be easy to change as they donā€™t know the time they just know light and dark but is 12-12 really that bad for my fish

Itā€™s not bad for the fish, itā€™s bad for causing possible algae issues in future.

Getting a timer to plug your light plug into will help set a routine for lighting times so thatā€™s actually more convenient for you especially if you go away for a few days or going out for the day etc

Your fish will quickly learn feeding times again, should not be a problem.

You also need to lift the plants up a bit so their stems are not in the gravel. The roots should be buried but the leaves and stems should be out of gravel.

You also need to lift the plants up a bit so their stems are not in the gravel. The roots should be buried but the leaves and stems should be out of gravel.
I just think swords might not be suited to my tank to be fair , if I just cover the roots my Oscar will pull them out and I end up with floating plants lol

If you have fish that pull the plants out, get Water Sprite and let it grow on the surface. You can plant it in the substrate and if they pull it out, it will just float.

If you have fish that pull the plants out, get Water Sprite and let it grow on the surface. You can plant it in the substrate and if they pull it out, it will just float.
Cheers mate are they easy enough to care for or will they require nutrients

water sprite is very easy to keep. just let it float on the surface and give it some light.

Most reactions

trending

Back