Whitespot What Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

black molly3

Fish Herder
Reaction score
last night i turned my light off for my tank and the nons were going crazy. today i woke up and turned on the light and all 8 of them have white spot i have raised the temp to 28.c and addd some protazin. but i have heared the best way to fight whitespot is to just leave them to fight it them selves.
is this true.
thanks

Leaving them with a higher temperature will just speed up the infestation. While some fish can fight it off on their own, you are best medicating to prevent losses. Remember to medicate for at least 5-6, preferably 11-12 days after you see the last spot.

I would turn up your temperature to around 30 degs c, just make sure there is plenty of aeration provided, it may be a good idea to add a low concentration of aquarium salt, just add the salt dose periodically over a couple of days and keep an eye on the effects on the fish. use this with protazin for at least two weeks as whitespot generally has a 14 day life cycle.

should i feed them bloodworm and brineshrimp mre often to strngthen their imune system
thanks

I would turn up your temperature to around 30 degs c, just make sure there is plenty of aeration provided, it may be a good idea to add a low concentration of aquarium salt, just add the salt dose periodically over a couple of days and keep an eye on the effects on the fish. use this with protazin for at least two weeks as whitespot generally has a 14 day life cycle.
White spot's life cycle is determined by the temperature. Research shows that after 55 hours without a host no parasites survive at 68F (20C). In a cold outdoor pond it may stretch as long as 4 days. At 30C you may well find the temperature alone kills the fish, but the life cycles will be far shorter than 14 days. In fact, I have never seen a reliable source suggest a life cycle as long as 14 days.

I just got over a bout of whitespot in my tank. I raised my temp to about 80F and used Kordon Rid-Ich. Spots were gone in about 3 days and I used it for about a week and a half.

when i turn the light on it looks like it hs cleared up but after about 30 seconds the spots start appearig on them again. should i keep the light off.
thanks

no but the thing i think caused it was turning the light off when i turned the light off i seen ll my neons go wild.
thanks for any help

White spot's life cycle is determined by the temperature. Research shows that after 55 hours without a host no parasites survive at 68F (20C). In a cold outdoor pond it may stretch as long as 4 days. At 30C you may well find the temperature alone kills the fish, but the life cycles will be far shorter than 14 days. In fact, I have never seen a reliable source suggest a life cycle as long as 14 days.

Not sure who is right or wrong but I've always been under the impression even at low temps the cycle can last 2 weeks. Everything I have ever read indicates the cycle can last that long. I know countless people who thought they had removed it after several days of treatment only to have it reappear again shortly after the treatment stopped. I always treat (without any chemicals) for 14-18 days and have NEVER had it reappear. Light has nothing to do with it at all.

how did you treat itwithout any chemicals. things are startig to clear up now i am going to add 1 te spoon (small spoon) of aquarium salt now
thanks for your help.
keep it coming

Not sure who is right or wrong but I've always been under the impression even at low temps the cycle can last 2 weeks. Everything I have ever read indicates the cycle can last that long. I know countless people who thought they had removed it after several days of treatment only to have it reappear again shortly after the treatment stopped. I always treat (without any chemicals) for 14-18 days and have NEVER had it reappear. Light has nothing to do with it at all.

Indeed, my bad, I was misreading the tomont stage for the lifecycle. Been a while since I read the FW pages.

I myself have always gone the UV route and had huge success.

Most reactions

trending

Back