White Worm-Type Things In Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gizaroo2

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all! Quick question for you guys.

I noticed these white worm looking things swimming (sort of) around in one of my bettas tanks today. It is due for a good cleaning (not just the routine water changes), but all water tests are normal and the betta is acting normally and not as though these things are bothering him. None of them are one him, just in the water.

I got a video of one of them today. They seems to be about 1/4" long at the largest, and just kind of wriggle around.

Can anyone tell me what they are? If they're a parasite, what kind and what do I need to be treating with? I've never seen these in any of my tanks before.

edit:
Oops, the video didn't attach correctly. I'll update with the video once it's done downloading to photobucket.

FYI, they aren't in the tank of the betta that injured himself the other day.

It's almost always planaria. Just Google it for images and if it's not that then we'll have to wait for your video. Oh and they're not any danger to your fish, he may even snack on them.

Well almost certainly not Planaria then. It looks like it's moving in a 'wormy' fashion so it may be a detritus worm. Does it look like it's got rings like an earthworm - can't tell from the video? If you've got lots of them (I did see another small one in the video) it's usually a sign of too much muck (detritus) in the gravel although they could have been introduced with plants, fish, live food etc. Did their appearance coincide with any recent introductions to the tank?

Yea, there is extra muck around..I need to do a deep clean, but haven't had time to do anything but regular water changes.

I recently just put a grapevine log in there. Maybe they were on that?

Other than that nothing has changed.

The worms do appear to be segmented

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back