White spots on log?

Fishareconfusing101

Reaction score
I think that is might be some sort of fungus or something but looking for input and how to get rid of it!
image.jpg

Hello. Snails will get rid of most types of fungus. I have Rams Horn and Zebra Nerites in my tanks. You'll have nothing to worry about if you simply keep the tank clean with large, regular water changes. The hobby can really be this simple, if you can commit to keeping excess food out of the tank water by not feeding your inhabitants too much and changing out most of their tank water weekly.

It's almost definitely some sort of mold or other fungus. No need to fret over it though. Basically all the different kinds of fungi that grow on wood are harmless to fish. Given that it's sticking out of the water, it means you have high humidity in the air space. What kind of lid or cover do you have? If it's something solid, it's trapping moisture, which helps to grow fungus even on things out of the water. However, if you have species that are jumpers, then you can't really afford to remove the lid, so you may just have to deal with the fungus. You can manually remove it if you don't like the look of it, but keep in mind that it's likely to come back if that part of the wood stays damp.

Water changes and light feedings are great general advice, but unlikely to help in this very specific case because the fungus isn't affecting the wood under the water. Even on submerged wood, fungus thrives on the nutrients within the wood itself, which is why light feedings and water changes generally don't get rid of it, although they might help slow or reduce its growth. You just have to wait it out until the fungus uses up all the nutrients and dies out on its own.

It's almost definitely some sort of mold or other fungus. No need to fret over it though. Basically all the different kinds of fungi that grow on wood are harmless to fish. Given that it's sticking out of the water, it means you have high humidity in the air space. What kind of lid or cover do you have? If it's something solid, it's trapping moisture, which helps to grow fungus even on things out of the water. However, if you have species that are jumpers, then you can't really afford to remove the lid, so you may just have to deal with the fungus. You can manually remove it if you don't like the look of it, but keep in mind that it's likely to come back if that part of the wood stays damp.

Water changes and light feedings are great general advice, but unlikely to help in this very specific case because the fungus isn't affecting the wood under the water. Even on submerged wood, fungus thrives on the nutrients within the wood itself, which is why light feedings and water changes generally don't get rid of it, although they might help slow or reduce its growth. You just have to wait it out until the fungus uses up all the nutrients and dies out on its own.
I have not lid on this aquarium but do you think if I put a pothos on it or something of the sorts it could over run the fungus/mold?

I have not lid on this aquarium but do you think if I put a pothos on it or something of the sorts it could over run the fungus/mold?
Hm... Maybe, but probably not, is my guess. It's not really a matter of nutrients in the water column so much as the nutrients in the wood itself, and I'm not sure the pothos could physically remove the fungus itself even if its roots grow well. I'm not sure there's much to do other than scrape or scrub it off. It might come back, but as I mentioned, it's not going to harm anything, so don't worry if it does. That said, never a bad idea to have a pothos. I hear they're really good at nutrient removal.

Hm... Maybe, but probably not, is my guess. It's not really a matter of nutrients in the water column so much as the nutrients in the wood itself, and I'm not sure the pothos could physically remove the fungus itself even if its roots grow well. I'm not sure there's much to do other than scrape or scrub it off. It might come back, but as I mentioned, it's not going to harm anything, so don't worry if it does. That said, never a bad idea to have a pothos. I hear they're really good at nutrient removal.
Alright thanks! Def going to put some pothos in that aquarium bc I also have an issue with some algae so it sounds like it might help with that type of stuff!

I'm a rookie myself but those white spots look exactly like the eggs my nerite snail lays all over my driftwood.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back