white spots on glass

remowilliams

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this before? I have little white spots stuck to my glass some(but not as many) on my LR. When i look up close they are like little swrils (like the shell of a snail) Some are small like the size of a pin-hole but others are a bit larger and have some little hairs coming out where a snails head would. They don;t move and they are kinda hard to scrape off. When i do scrape them off they break apart into almost like a powder. i have a 25gal FOWLR. I am going to setup a 55gal FOWLR and i want to us the existing LR but I do not want to infect my new tank if this is something bad. I have 1 hawkfish in my 25gal and that's it. He's doing good. No loss of apetite, no breathing problems, no abnormal behavior. I haven't test my water in a while but my sg is 1.023 and my temp is like 80. any ideas what, if anything, this might be?

What you are seeing is young feather dusters. Dont kill them, they are good for your tank.

RamJet said:
What you are seeing is young feather dusters. Dont kill them, they are good for your tank.
:blink: OOPS!! is that what that is??? I have those too like ALLLLL over the tank and filter. I knew it was some kind of growth but I wasnt sure if it was good or bad so I scraped it all off. What is supposed to happen with them? The feather dusters don't continue to grow ON the tank......do they??

i talked to a guy i know and he said he had them in his tank. he said that if you scrape them off them will just multiply. he didn't know what they were though. they look like a type of filter-feeder. i still don't know what it is though.

I have Aiptasia in my tank, one I like and even feed. The others get injected with lemon juice.

no other ideas needed. small tube worms and/or feather dusters. go ahead and use your magnet to get them off the glass. you'll still have loads in the tank.

is there any way to get rid of them? it sounds like they don't do any harm but i just don't want them in my tank.

Nope, not really. But why would you want to kill them? They are great for your tank, you are lucky to have them. Clean them off of the glass if you like, the only way to get them off the rock is to dry your rock. But thats not a very smart thing to do. They will grow and you will be happy to have them, they can be quite stunning. I wish I had more of them myself.

yes, works well, I just talked with a friend the other day about them, he said he uses bubble gum. Just plug them up with it and they die off from lack of food. I asked him if Big Red was ok to use, :blink: He said to get something sugarless. :huh: I was joking about the Big Red, I am not so sure if he was joking about it being sugarless.

Hey GL my bud at the LFS told me to fill a hypodermic needle with calcium and inject them in their body and that would kill them.

Hazmat

Ways to kill aptasia anemones:

1) Use a syringe full of very hot water to literally "fry" the anemone

2) Use a syringe full of calcium additive to poison it

3) Get a red-hot screwdriver (with a plastic or rubber handle) and shove it into the anemone's hiding place

4) Attempt to remove the rock or bit of gravel it's attached to

5) Get a machine gun, a large axe, a flamethrower, a carpet, and either a sledgehammer or a large rubber mallet. Chop the tank apart, spray the anemone's area with bullets from the machine gun until the gun is emptied, pound the area into the basement with the mallet or sledgehammer, fry the entire area with the flamethrower, and then put the rug over the mess whenever your mother-in-law comes to visit. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back