FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Platail

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, 
I'm new here, and I'm fairly sure this is the correct forum to post in, I apologise if it is not.
I have also never had white spot in any of my tanks before and I am quite worried about the whole situation.

Okay, about a week ago I noticed a few white spots on one of my platys after a regular 50% water change, and so I immediately started treatment for it, because not only did I want it to spread to all of my other platys and swordtails but I have a rather old clown loach that I am rather fond of, which I have read are prone to ich/white spot.

I bumped the temperature from the usual 26°C (78 or 79ºF) to 30°C (86ºF) and added aquarium salt as this is what I was told I should do at the pet store where I got the treatment. 
I also had the water tested while I was there:

PH: about 7
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Tank is about 505 Liters so about 130ish Gallons, its about 6ft
Temperature as of 5 minutes ago: 30°C (86ºF)
Not 100% sure on the others, but I remember the attendent said they were all well within the normal parameters and that nothing was out of the ordinary. I get it checked once a month there and I have for about 8 years, so I trust they are correct.

Tank inhabitants:
1x 25cm clown loach (he is 11-12 years old and the last one of 5, I've tried adding others but the largest ones I've been able to find are about 5-7cm and he killed two over night so I re homed the other 3 and I haven't been able to find anyone with any larger loaches to re-home him, so I've resigned to trying to make him as comfortable as possible otherwise)
5x Platys
7x Swordtails (one may be a platy I'm not sure yet as it's still small)
Fry - there are always fry, I just leave them, they usually grow up fine and I re home them when they're older
Snails - I leave them in because usually my loach likes to eat them.

Currently two filters (no carbon in them at the moment as per medication institutions)
Air Bubbler is on 
Light is also on.
Tank has been established for over a year with regular water changes.

He was alright for a few days, but over the last 3 his condition has gone downhill quite fast. Usually he swims around happily, though within 2 days of getting white spots he went pale (he has since regained some colour) and the white spot has spread over his entire body.
He has begun to float up the top gasping (still in the water) (he is trying to keep himself in the jet of water from the filter I believe). He can swim down because he shoots around the tank and rolls around to get the bubbles off his side and I believe he is itchy or something.
lying on side.jpg

I was checking him again about an hour ago and I noticed that he has developed white spot seemingly inside his eye, as well as gotten water inside them or something has filmed over it...
bad eye.jpg
I'm not sure if he has hit one of his decorations or logs but I've taken out the sharper/rougher edged ones now so that it doesn't happen or happen again.

One of my platys have also got it and she seems to just be lying on the bottom most of the time so I am worried that she won't make it as she isn't too old.

I'm not sure what to do... I've done everything I can that I know of short of taking them to the vet, though I don't know if they'd make the trip up there. 

Does anyone know if there is water in the eye, or if it's an infection?
Is there is anything I can do for these two fish or am I doing something wrong. As I said, I've never had any white spot (or any other disease for that matter) happen before, I'm very worried about this.

Thank you for reading and any answers.

I think your doing pretty much all the right things, TBH I think the vet would be a waste of time, unless its one who speciallises in fish and I doubt there are many of them. The salt is an old time remedy which hopefully will help. You mentioned treatment. Are you using something other than salt? If not a white spot cure may help.

I hope your loach makes it through this, hes a fair old age and maybe thats catching up with him, making him more susceptable to things like white spot.

Thanks for the reply, I read this the same day though, it took me a little while to reply currently preparing for exams and final assessment, and I'm a little scatterbrained, sorry about that.

Thank you, and yes I had assumed the same about the vet, they no doubt would have just killed him, judging by how he looked. 
He got pretty bad for a while there, I swore he almost died (he almost didn't move for a full hour and was very pale), though he has somehow made it through it, I believe that the salt has, in conjunction with the treatment (ridich) helped quite a bit!
yahoo.gif

The white spot seems to be going away, his eyes are mostly cleared up and he seems to be able to see out of at least one of them so far and he isn't gasping any more. He has even slowly begun eating and leaving the surface. I'll put his logs back in once I'm sure the parasites are dead and gone.

Unfortunately the little female platy and a small male swordtail didn't make it, though I had expected a few casualties. 
Fortunately everyone else in the tank seems to be doing well, so I'm staying optimistic for now :)

Thank you, and yes, he is getting a little slower these days I've noticed. I'll just have to take extra precautions to prevent it happening again. 

Thank you again!

Unfortunately he passed away today.

He had no signs of white spot and for a few days he seemed to be fine and back to his usual self, but it must have taken a terrible toll on him as he had lost all of his energy and eventually stopped eating 3 days ago. 
He started to lie down around the tank, and sit in near the heater and bubbler, and went into his log and grass to pass away. 

Apart from this the white spot appears to have disappeared. I'm quite heart broken, but I know he's probably happier now he isn't alone any more, and that makes me happy. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back