White, lacy deposits on glass

BlaiseinLondon

New Member
Joined
May 19, 2026
Messages
48
Reaction score
86
Points
18
Location
South east London
Overnight some white, lacy deposits appeared on the glass of my community tank, some with trailing threads. Two days later it's completely gone. What was it please?
 
No photographic evidence?! 🧐
 
I had similar ( by description ) on one tank… I think the best guesses were a showy type of fungus, it didn’t harm the tank… I’ll see if I can find some pictures of mine…

this is that thread, that has several pictures, as it developed over a few days

 
Last edited:
IMG_8915.webp
IMG_8914.webp
 
Those are the best I've got, I'm afraid, because the deposits initially disappeared before I had a chance to photograph them. As you can see it reappeared on the hide, and there is a small amount on the glass, directly above the rear (empty - getting new plants this week) terracotta pot. Really hard to photograph though. Tank has been cycled for about two months and has 6 orange lemon tetra and 6 sterbai, and a few assassins. Ammonia and nitrite 0; nitrate 40 (which is the out-of-the-tap measurement here!). I do a 33% water change once a week.
 
I had similar ( by description ) on one tank… I think the best guesses were a showy type of fungus, it didn’t harm the tank… I’ll see if I can find some pictures of mine…

this is that thread, that has several pictures, as it developed over a few days

Thanks. Mine is much whiter and more one-dimensional; like a tiny piece of lace stuck on the glass.
 
The first time I "discovered" uninvited life on the glass of my aquarium when I was a kid, it was a beautifully patterned creature that lasted a couple of weeks. It was all geometric patterns and whitish to translucent, and I was sorry to see it go. It looked like living lace. I've not seen one like it since, though many weird and wonderful life forms have appeared in tanks since then.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top