White fuzzy growth on Anubis plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ja292246

Reaction score
So im cycling my tank i just put dose 2 of the ammonia , so it doesn’t have any fish yet , i have a white fuzzy growth on my Anubis plants , anyone know what it is and if i need to worry or treat the tank ?

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 22
It looks fuzzy like fungus, but I am not certain, from a photo.

The Anubias has a thick rhizome, from which the leaves and finer hair roots grow. The rhizome must not be buried, it must be above the substrate. Cannot tell here, but it looks like it might be buried behind the rock. Anubias, like Java Fern, is best grown affixed to wood or rock, with thread or naturally (crevices in wood work very well). But it must not be in the substrate.

Sorry i just realized i was kinda short with my response , i took a few more pictures maybe it’ll help having a full view .

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 19
No problem, I was just pointing out the rhizome issue in case you weren't aware. As for the white "fungus" I can't even see it in the latest two photos.

How should i fix that issue as well?

I don't know what it is. In the first photo is looks like some sort of fungus, but I can't see it clearly. I am assuming other members may have suggestions.

I can't see any fungus either but you have new low light plants that have been grown out of water, and they are now underwater. They will probably lose all the terrestrial leaves and grow smaller aquatic leaves.

Here is a zoomed in picture if it helps
I can't see any fungus either but you have new low light plants that have been grown out of water, and they are now underwater. They will probably lose all the terrestrial leaves and grow smaller aquatic leaves.
i picked up the rock and the entire plant broke apart so, but i still have the other two. I will go get a new one tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_2566.jpeg
    IMG_2566.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2567.png
    IMG_2567.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 15
don't get another Anubias, get a true aquatic plant instead.

LIST OF PLANTS TO TRY
Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow or twisted/ spiral Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

Ambulia, H. polysperma, Elodia/ Hydrilla and Vallis are tall plants that do well along the back. Rotala macranda is a medium/ tallish red plant that usually does well.

H. ruba/ rubra is a medium height plant that looks good on the sides of the tank.

Cryptocorynes are small/ medium plants that are taller than pygmy chain swords but shorter than H. rubra. They also come in a range of colours, mostly different shades of green, brown or purplish red. Crypts are not the easiest plant to grow but can do well if they are healthy to begin with and are not disturbed after planting in the tank.

Most Amazon sword plants can get pretty big and are usually kept in the middle of the tank as a show piece. There is an Ozelot sword plant that has brown spots on green leaves, and a red ruffle sword plant (name may vary depending on where you live) with deep red leaves.

There is a pygmy chain sword plant that is small and does well in the front of the tank.

----------------------

TRUE AQUATIC VS MARSH/ TERRESTRIAL PLANTS
Lots of plants are sold as aquarium plants and most are marsh plants that do really well when their roots are in water and the rest of the plant is above water. Some marsh plants will do well underwater too.

Hair grass is not a true aquatic plant, neither is Anubias.

Some common marsh plants include Amazon sword plants, Cryptocorynes, Hygrophila sp, Rotala sp, Ludwigia sp, Bacopa sp. These plant do reasonably well underwater.

True aquatic plants include Ambulia, Cabomba, Hornwort, Elodia, Hydrilla and Vallis.

The main difference between marsh plants and true aquatic plants is the stem. True aquatics have a soft flexible stem with air bubbles in it. These bubbles help the plant float and remain buoyant in the water column.

Marsh plants have a rigid stem and these plants can remain standing upright when removed from water. Whereas true aquatic plants will fall over/ collapse when removed from water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back