Whisper Filter For Marine Tank?

comewowme

Reaction score
I've got a whisper 40gal in-tank filter in a 38 gallon tank. Will this, and an air pump good for a 50gal tank good enough airation/filtration/circulation? my LFS was trying to sell me on this Model filter that sits outside the tank, and doubles as a protein skimmer (was $80)

Do you guys think the $80 filter is a good buy? If i should replace my filter, what should I replace it with?

Much depends on your plans for the tank. Fish only? Corals?

SW can be a pricey hobby and we all cut costs where we can. But filtration and water movemrnt are critical to a marine environment.

My best advice would be to have the tank drilled before you start to facillitate an overflow set up to a sump below. This allows you to place a large pump in the sump so you can circulate loads of water. The most important part of this is that you can split your return on a good size pump and get some real current going.

The next best bet is to use a large, [300-400gph] canister filter. The outflow on these provide a decent current, supplemented with a powerhead or two and you are good to go.

Any type of hang on the back filter is a no go outside the sub 20 gallon nano world IMO.

As far as the combo filter skimmer the lfs has recomended. That would be your call based on the aforementioned. I will say that at 50 gallons, you will end up at one point needing a good stand alone efficient skimmer. Myself, I always kick myself later when I go the "save a little now and spend more later" route.

GL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back