The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Whiptail Catfish - Rineloricaria lanceolata, doing real well and feeding on Hikari Algae Wafers and peas, not tried any other vegetables yet.

Is there any recomendations for a good varied diet for this guy?
Hikari Carnivore Pellets or Hkari Sinking Pellets for example and what kinds of vegetables is suitable?
Do these vegetables need to be specially prepared or cooked?

The tank is a 20 gal / 75 litre, 30 x 12 x 15 inches.
Water is pH 7.8, hardness approximately 215 or 15 deg german, temp at 77F / 25C.

This is my first time having a bottom dweller fish so this is a kinda new area for me, hence all these questions.

Feel like a newbie again asking these basic questions   :p

I am very fond of the Whiptail catfish, and I think I have had one (or more) throughout my time keeping fish.  There are three species commonly seen in the hobby, R. parva, R. lanceolata and R. fallax; they have slight variation in pattern, and in the placement of the ventral scutes, but all three are identical in maintenance.  It is possible that some fish in the hobby are hybrids between these and other species.  There are presently more than 60 distinct described species in the genus, distributed from Panama down to northern Argentina, and on both sides of the Andes.  This is the largest number of species in any Loricariinae genus. In 2008 alone, some 14 new species were described as Rineloricaria. I presently have one Rineloricaria parva and two of the so-called "Red Lizard" whiptails which are considered by most sources to be derived from one of the species as opposed to being a natural distinct species.

In the wild they feed on aufwuchs, which as you know are algae mats that contain insect larvae, small aquatic crustaceans, zooplankton, protozoans, etc. They will relish quite a variety of vegetable foods such as lettuce, peas, zucchini, blanched spinach, etc., along with sinking foods that should include both plant and animal matter. They will graze algae with no damage to plants.  I feed mine on sinking foods shared with the corys.  Omega One shrimp pellets, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Nutrafin tablets are my present prepared foods, with frozen bloodworms once a week (they go into a real frenzy over these).

Some sources, such as Planet Catfish, have these fish listed in the genus Hemiloricaria which largely follows the proposal of Rodriguez & Reis (2008) that restricts Rineloricaria species to the Rip Parana system and coastal drainages from Uruguay to northeastern Brazil, with Hemiloricaria for the remaining species.  This classification however has not been fully accepted by subsequent authors (see Vera-Alcaraz, Pavanelli & Zawadsizki, 2012) nor the ichthyological catalogue (Eschmeyer, 2015) in which all species remain in Rineloricaria for the present.

Byron.

Some great information as per usual from you, Byron :)

I did read that Planet Catfish article on these whiptails and did see the reference towards Burgess Atlas labelling Rineloricaria lanceolata as Hemiloricaria lanceolata.

But did not know if Hemiloricaria was accepted but am assuming generally are commonly known as Rineloricaria.

I will feed some of the above suggestions happliy, especailly bloodworms as am sure the gouramis will appreciate this as well as my usual occassional feeding of frozen foods such as daphinia, brine shrimps and cyclops.

That's great info, Byron, thanks for posting.

I have a single red lizard whiptail atm (I'm trying to save up and get some more; I've heard they do well in small groups), and I love him to bits. I've had them for years as well; I got my first one in about 1994! I had him about twelve years, so they're a long lived fish
smile.png

They're great fish; a good size, don't cause any trouble with anyone and seem to be hardy and easy to feed. Mine likes lettuce, courgette, apple slices and mango and watermelon rinds (just a thumb sized piece of rind, with hardly any flesh left on, or it fouls the water), as well as bloodworms, catfish pellets, algae wafers and peas
smile.png

Excellent :)

I am fond of this whiptail to be honest, even though he does not do much, stays in the cave for most of the time, comes out at feeding times and when lights are off :lol: Beautiful fish.

This is why am considering getting more of them, a pair to start and see if behavour changes.

Ch4rlie said:
Excellent
smile.png

I am fond of this whiptail to be honest, even though he does not do much, stays in the cave for most of the time, comes out at feeding times and when lights are off
laugh.png
Beautiful fish.
Lol; mine tends to hang on leaves, looking dead. My mum did ask me if he was okay once, as he hadn't moved for an hour!

This is why am considering getting more of them, a pair to start and see if behavour changes.
Yeah, I'm sure a group or breeding pair would be very rewarding. They're a bit pricey round here, £11 each in my LFS, which is why I only have the one
confused.gif

fluttermoth said:

Yeah, I'm sure a group or breeding pair would be very rewarding. They're a bit pricey round here, £11 each in my LFS, which is why I only have the one
confused.gif

Indeed ;)

Thats how much i paid for mine, £11. But certainly worth it :)

11 pounds? thats crazy i got a Royal whiptail for 5 pounds

Well this is the Uk after all, nothing is cheap here anymore for fish and tank equip :/

Ch4rlie said:
Well this is the Uk after all, nothing is cheap here anymore for fish and tank equip
confused.gif
Anymore? does that mean the used to be cheap?

Well, to a certain extent years ago yes.

But bargains to be had at car boot sales and local ads etc ;)

Interesting on the behaviours.  My red Lizards also remain mainly in plants.  I had three, acquired around four years ago, and one disappeared about four or five months back, no idea why or what happened to him.  But the other two spend their "resting periods" in the crown of Amazon swordplants.  One of these also has a favourite niche in one of the chunks of wood, and he tends to go their when I do water changes.  The regular R. parva is usually on the sand somewhere, and he has from the start been out and about.  I've had this one for seven years this month.  I've never observed any interaction among these.

I have a trick that I have used for years to signal feeding.  I lightly tap on the tank frame when I add food.  This has served very well to bring out all the "shy" fish.  And within a few minutes, all the whiptails are at the front, where the tabs/pellets/disks are dropped.  It is easy to train fish to this; my Farlowella fry learned it very quickly even on their own in the grow-out tank.  I particularly like this trick because it allows me to count the fish that might otherwise not be visible for hours.

I did read that Planet Catfish article on these whiptails and did see the reference towards Burgess Atlas labelling Rineloricaria lanceolata as Hemiloricaria lanceolata.
But did not know if Hemiloricaria was accepted but am assuming generally are commonly known as Rineloricaria.

Burgess called them Rineloricaria [I think you just got your words reversed, I checked PC].  It was Isbrucker et al. (2001) that revalidated the genus Hemiloricaria; originally erected by Bleeker in 1862 (at the same time he erected Rineloricaria) it was subsequently felt by many that the distinctions were not sufficient, and Hemiloricaria soon became a synonym of Rineloricaria.  Isbrucker et al. (2001) moved several species from Rineloricaria into Hemiloricaria and in the same study further erected two new genera, Leliella and Fonchiiichthys, for some other Rineloricaria species.  These reclassifications were mainly based upon differences in sexual dimorphism.  Subsequent studies did not accept much of this; Ferraris (2003, 2007) in particular retained Hemiloricaria as synonymous with Rineloricaria [though he resurrected it as a distinct genus but without any comment in 2007] and he dismissed Leliella but accepted Fonchiiichthys with two species, the third being synonymous with one of these.  Covain & Fisch-Muller (2007) followed Ferraris.

It was Rodriguez & Reis (2008) that accepted Isbrucker et al. (2001) in splitting Rineloricaria and Hemiloricaria, but as I mentioned previously, they had a geographic distinction to the split.  Rapp Py-Daniel & Fichberg (2008) in describing a new species placed it in Rineloricaria, "following Covain & Fisch-Muller (2007)" in their classification using Rineloricaria.  They did note that further phylogenetic study would likely clarify the taxonomic confusion eventually for this genus.

The ichthyological database of the California Academy of Sciences, which is maintained by Dr. William Eschmeyer, is generally accepted for the current status of all species of fish.  Hemicloricaria holds no valid species, being deemed synonymous with Rineloricaria, and the two Fonchiiichthys species are accepted as valid.

Hope I've provided something of interest to some, anyway.

Byron.

Ah, I now i see my mistake, yes, you are indeed correct i got that the wrong way around regarding Rineloricaria and Hemiloricaria. My apologies.

And indeed does make intersting reading, i enjoy finding out more about any particlaur species that i like.

But I have recently started doing the same trick as you, slightly tap the corner of the tank to let the fish know its feeding time, they starting to come out and wait at that corner now when they see me coming.

I wish my local pet shops had some whiptails in, I used to have a pair but the male has disappeared and now the female is full of eggs and ready to burst. I even have been looking online for any of my type for sale and sadly there is just none around at the moment.
Whiptails truly are lovely and peaceful fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back