Which Puffer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Amber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a 3ft tank (20Gallon) on the advise of my lfs to house a mbu puffer that I had seen and fallen for - after researching the fish Ive found that the tank is in fact too small :no: (i hadn't bought the fish yet)
So now im stuck with an empty tank, I wanted to ask what species of puffer (if any) would be suited to my tank, brackish or freshwater. I won't have room to upgrade the tank at a later date so it must be suitable for the lifespan of any fish that go in there.
My lfs shop has mbu - Topaz- green spotted - spotted - redeye - Figure8 but I know there a lot more about and if any were suitable Im sure I could find them.

Thanks for the replys ive been off doing a bit of reseach :D

In regards to the filtration - the tank is a Juwel with the internal box filter already in, will this be suffcient (sp?) for a puffer tank - its quiet good as I have another that holds 3 fancy goldfish & the water quality stays good as long as I do weekly water changes which I do with all my tanks anyway.

What do you think?

Puffers are very messy eaters and very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. I'm not sure myself on how good Juwel filters are but I would recommend getting an extra filter, as double the filtration is recommended for puffers. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Ok thanks ingo_1978 :thumbs:

Lots to think about I wanna be really sure before I choose one. I read pufferpunks link - I can't beleive my LFS told me 3foot for a mbu, that link says 1000 gallons, how bad is that :no:

Standard jewel filters are designed for average stocking of average fish and are good for that. Messy fish need more, I would reccomend keeping the jewel filter as is and adding a decent external, fluval 204/ehiem ecco that you can get quite cheap. These external filters are very versatile and can be filled with your own choice of media, but the ehiem/fluval bio medias are quite good.

LOL, a mbu would probably be ok in a 3' tank for a couple of weeks. GSP or F8 is what I would go for, but then I am biased.

Jon

jflowers said:
LOL, a mbu would probably be ok in a 3' tank for a couple of weeks.
Shame because they had loads of young 'uns in and im sure the adverage person on the street aint gonna be able to provide them with a 1000 gallon tank! :grr:

I must admit im rather taken with the F8 :wub: - just gotta convince other half that i need more fish stuff!! (ie. external filter) shouldn't be too hard as the XBox 360 (he aint stopped talking about it :crazy: ) is due out soon so im sure he'll wanna keep me sweet :p

they must've meant the puffer was 3' in diameter. actual mbu puffers get HUGE! but aren't they sooo pretty...

In a 3' you could try keeping several S. American Puffers (Colomesus Asellus). They're cute and friendly... :nod: (<-- I'm biased too :p )

Shame because they had loads of young 'uns in and im sure the adverage person on the street aint gonna be able to provide them with a 1000 gallon tank!

Poor puffers! 1 of the many "tankbusters" that belong where they came from, not in most folk's tanks! :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back