Which goldfish to get?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spen2cer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ironically, after 4 tanks, I am just now getting a goldfish. I have a 29 gallon that I have ready for 1 or 2 goldfish, and I wanted to know if there were opinions on what would be the best kind for the tank. I was thinking oranda or moor. Thanks

most any fancy goldfish will work, pick your favorite type! I would just do one, 20 gallons is a bare minimum and 30 is better, so 1 will be perfect!

If you want to get GlowFish, they need to be in groups of 6 or more. Danios and tiger barb GlowFish can be aggressive. I suggest getting 6-12 fancy Tetra GlowFish. (Aka glow skirt Tetra)

If you want to get GlowFish, they need to be in groups of 6 or more. Danios and tiger barb GlowFish can be aggressive. I suggest getting 6-12 fancy Tetra GlowFish. (Aka glow skirt Tetra)
Goldfish

Ironically, after 4 tanks, I am just now getting a goldfish. I have a 29 gallon that I have ready for 1 or 2 goldfish, and I wanted to know if there were opinions on what would be the best kind for the tank. I was thinking oranda or moor. Thanks
The Moor would be best. You can look for a red cap Oranda. Sometimes regular Oranda have to have their wrens clipped. No fun to do.red caps only have a little wren. Fancy calico’s are nice too.

Get the pretty one.
Sometimes pretty isn’t always the best. For example: If you get a super pretty betta, (Full moon dumbo ear) it will be more prone to fin rot, and other diseases, due to the fact that he has bigger and “better” fins. :)

Sometimes pretty isn’t always the best. For example: If you get a super pretty betta, (Full moon dumbo ear) it will be more prone to fin rot, and other diseases, due to the fact that he has bigger and “better” fins. :)
No. Always go for pretty. When you go to the dance you pick the pretty one.

The Moor would be best. You can look for a red cap Oranda. Sometimes regular Oranda have to have their wrens clipped. No fun to do.red caps only have a little wren. Fancy calico’s are nice too.
Awesome. I am beginning to like Ryukins more, and will consider that, as well. Thanks for the info!

I must point out that all the different fantail (double tailed) goldfish with short bodies are the equivalent of balloon fish. They have been inbred to such a degree that their bodies are significantly shorter than they should be, and this causes more internal problems because their guts and organs are squished up.

I must point out that all the different fantail (double tailed) goldfish with short bodies are the equivalent of balloon fish. They have been inbred to such a degree that their bodies are significantly shorter than they should be, and this causes more internal problems because their guts and organs are squished up.
Is there something that you would suggest instead?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back