Which fish should I choose???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you, that's really good to know. I will stick with tetras then.
It's not a big tank, 60L
So was thinking 6 tetras and a couple of cories.
Could I get another fish that's not a group of 6 in with those?

Shoaling fish such as tetras and cories need at least 6 of each species, and recent studies have shown they do better with at least 10 of the same species. So 10 of the same species of cory and 10 of one species of small tetra. Some larger tetras need a tank longer than a 60 litre - those are usually 60 cm long.
Check the minimum tank length on Seriously Fish and choose from those tetras which are suitable for your tank length. Swimming length is more important than volume.

Edit to add - if you choose small tetras you could have 10 each of 2 species in 60 litres.

Last edited:
Shoaling fish such as tetras and cories need at least 6 of each species, and recent studies have shown they do better with at least 10 of the same species. So 10 of the same species of cory and 10 of one species of small tetra. Some larger tetras need a tank longer than a 60 litre - those are usually 60 cm long.
Check the minimum tank length on Seriously Fish and choose from those tetras which are suitable for your tank length. Swimming length is more important than volume.

Edit to add - if you choose small tetras you could have 10 each of 2 species in 60 litres.
That's great thanks 😊
Can I have a mix, do all 6/10 have to be same type, there was a feed about this and they said that if they were same size that it would be OK.

Or would 3 x 6 be OK as well as 2 x 10?

Cories do better with all the same species, but it is possibly to mix them as long as there are at least 3 of each cory species.

Tetras should be kept in 10+ of the same species. If you go for the smaller species such as neons, ember tetras etc, you could have 10+ shoals of each of two species. Bear in mind that cories need slightly cooler temperatures than some tetras, which means they are not a good match with the warmer water tetras such as cardinals.

Cories do better with all the same species, but it is possibly to mix them as long as there are at least 3 of each cory species.

Tetras should be kept in 10+ of the same species. If you go for the smaller species such as neons, ember tetras etc, you could have 10+ shoals of each of two species. Bear in mind that cories need slightly cooler temperatures than some tetras, which means they are not a good match with the warmer water tetras such as cardinals.
Ah that's helpful, thank you 😊

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back