Which Filter?

pixiesandfairies

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a tank 48" x 17" x 18" with tropical fish in it, Which would be the best external filter for me?
 
tetratec ex1200, if the fish are not too messy, if they are you may need 2-ie, oscars, lots of large plecos
shelaghxxx
 
Seconding the Tetratec ex1200. I've a ex600 and ex700 and just bought a fluval 305 which leaked about 20 litres onto my floor yesterday when I first set it up (my fault, but wouldn't have been an issue with a Tetratec). Note to Fluval: don't make me make your product leak proof, make it that way from the factory!
 
Thats interesting i was looking at the fluval filters today. How did it leak? I have 6 panda corys, 2 ammno shirmp, A black ghost knife fish, 4 catfish (will check type monday) and a koi in the tank. B4 you say it i know a koi, but found it in my pond about to be eaten by the big guy`s in pond and read up and found if i want him to grow quickly, i should put him in a heated tank, He is lodging till next spring. All the other fish are small at mo` as it is a newish set up.
 
Well, as I said, it was my fault that it leaked. BUT, the reason for it was that with the fluval you get a bag that has a cover for the impeller and a rubber seal that you have to install. Initially I put the impeller cover on wrong as the diagram really wasn't very clear. I also put the rubber seal on wrong - which meant as soon as the filter was full and the power turned on it just poured water into the room. After fixing it I studied the manual and to be honest I would have made the same mistake tomorrow if I didn't know. Badly laid out and designed manual, poorly designed equipment. Now that it is running it is great - though a bit noisier than the Tetratec. My recommendation: if you can afford it go for Eheim (If I can next time, I will), if not go for Tetratec.
 
Super Budget - over hangs - Aqua Clears
Mid-Range - Canister TetraTec
Expensive - Eheim
 
Tetratec are the only brand I have bought two extrunal filters from. I have also ran Fluval, Rena and Eheim.... Guess where my vote goes :rolleyes:

Fluval have a reputation for leaking, they channel IME and clogg in two weeks on any kind of reasonable stcking load, when most other brands will run for months without attention... Very poor IMO.

Rena are great filters, though the XP4 has issues currently as far as I'm aware with the impellers torque being too much for the impeller shaft. The main Seals are IME unreliable, needing replacement on the second opening after the last change of seal. Standord media will need to be changed with Rena, as there is a lack of Bio-media and lots of expemcive to replace ammonia-sucking chemical meida that you would become dependant of if you left it in :nod:

I had a bad run with Ehiem, with both the origional and replacement filters breaking within a few weeks of being set-up. Customer service with them was very slow to do anything about it... On the whole though, Eheim have the best reputation.

Avoid any filter that has a build it heater, as these have more bugs than a maggot factory :crazy: Also, avoid Eheims Ecco range, as these also have issues. Pro2's are probibly the best if you go down that route.

I'd personally go Tetratec EX1200 again :shifty:

HTH
Rabbut
 
Wow so much info! Thanks loads!!!! As you have tried and tested most of the filters i bow down to your knowledge oh great one! LOL ! Thanks for the great advice! :blush:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top