Where The Heck Are My Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

laura120381

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi there,

i bought 10 tiger barbs last week (they are currently the only fish in my 80l tank) and i fear 2 of them may have died. these two were the smallest of the batch and to be honest always seemed a little more fragile and sickly than the others. anyway, i cannot find them anywhere. i have searched the tank and can only find 8 fish and no bodies. is it likely they have been eaten by the other barbs? there is absolutely no sign of them. i checked thoroughly as i did not want them to pollute the water.

sorry if this is a stupid question!

L :unsure:

Fish do eat other dead fish.. but have you checked your water readings and did you cycle your filter with ammonia before you added the fish?

Also, in future, do check the fish you are buying and make sure you don't get given ones which look "sickly".

hi there,

i bought 10 tiger barbs last week (they are currently the only fish in my 80l tank) and i fear 2 of them may have died. these two were the smallest of the batch and to be honest always seemed a little more fragile and sickly than the others. anyway, i cannot find them anywhere. i have searched the tank and can only find 8 fish and no bodies. is it likely they have been eaten by the other barbs? there is absolutely no sign of them. i checked thoroughly as i did not want them to pollute the water.

sorry if this is a stupid question!

i had same problem last week ,,1 neon just disappeard,i looked everywhere, i still never found it, are you sure its not dead under anything.otherwise id say its been eaten. but im just new to fishkeeping, im sure some1 will give a good answer.:dunno:

well i lost a tetra yesterday and went through 2 water changes before i found it stuck to the side of the filter s they are hard to find. fish seem to have the amazing ability to hide their own body matter after death so nothing can find it! on a good day sherlock holmes wouldnt be able to spot a dead guppy in a goldfish bowl!

lol. you are right there blubble!! i have checked the filters, under the rocks and plants...nothing!! i am assuming they have been consumed by their naturally cannabalistic tank mates...yes the tank was fully cycled with ammonia before any fish were added. they seemed to disappear last night. i tested the water and everything was as normal. i will test again today and probably do another water change...just to be on the safe side!

thank you all for your advice.

L :good:

Dead fish often migrate towards filter intakes but sounds like you've already checked everywhere so I bet you're right - the rest of the barbs have partaken in some cannibal cuisine!

You would be suprised how tough a barbs mouth is, mine nibble at my arm if im messing around in my tank. it wouldnt suprised me if they killed/ate one between them over night. For them to have two and you not to spot it is a little suprising though, are they very small?

hi tizer,

yes the 2 that i suspect have died were very very small...especially compared to the others.

oh there eaten for sure if they were the smallest then there in the other fishes tummy but did they have any problems? because if they did then were barbs could be in danger!! of the same problems they have if i was you i would get some anti parsite water treatments right away!!! :blink:

oh there eaten for sure if they were the smallest then there in the other fishes tummy but did they have any problems? because if they did then were barbs could be in danger!! of the same problems they have if i was you i would get some anti parsite water treatments right away!!! :blink:
That makes little sense, unless all of them already have parasites, which it doesn't sound like they do. But I do agree that it's good practice to keep some basic medication at home, the most useful ones I can suggest is generic anti-fungal/bacterial medication and an anti-whitespot one.

Yes, probably eaten with the small remains probably taken into the filter.

Won't be surprised if those 2 fellas were consumed by their tank mates :( I agree with Tizer that their mouths are really strong, mind are able to gobble up big chunks of food and I did see one of mine trying to eat a dead tank mate... Sorry for your loss :(

There's also the possibility they jumped out of the tank. Just a thought and it's happened before.
crazy.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back