Where Do You Get Your Rocks And Wood?

Kris T

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
England
I'll be starting my fishless cycle in a few days, so in about 4 or 5 weeks I'll hopefully be ready for fish! In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for those perfect rocks and wood. Is there a good place to find this kind of stuff? Garden centres, certain aquarium stores, or maybe just out in the natural world? Where is my best bet?
 
depend's what you want....?
my slate i got from a garden centre, cost 2pounds for these huges peice's and the hude pebble is from the beach....
all peices i wash repeatedly in boiling hot water and scrub alot :good:
paulaisababe742-1.jpg
 
working on builind sites all my rocks came out of the ground . my wood i got from ebay
 
Ebay is quite good if you look regularly, I got my redmoor wood from there for a lot less than, say, Aquaessentials.
 
2nd that about the redmoor root. i got a large piece from ebay for 6 quid. similar pieces on thegreenmachine are about 45 quid!!!!!
 
depends on how much you need.

i got about 7 or so of the big slate rocks from the garden center and broke them down to use in my cichlid tank. alot cheaper than the lfs and the lfs is inside the garden centre anyway.
 
I'm lucky I live in lake tahoe so I just go to the lake and pick rocks I like most are all granit and slate some other kinds that are safe too. Why by rocks when you can just go out for a walk and bring some home. You need to wash the rocks I boil mine.

As for wood I buy that. Getting wood from outside can be a bit more risky. Wood is a pain in the but. I'm soaking some mopari wood right now.
 
Let you into a secret, iam soaking a huge oak branch which has been 5 year's fallen and is all bark gone and cleaned it in scolding hot water a fair few time's, now it's soaking in boiling hot water,
 
Oak is a good wood to use. Well aged wood even better. It's just harder to find a good chunk of wood outside. All I have are different pine trees around me so I don't even try. I did find a water logged chunk that was smooth and black from being burned. I was tempted to take it home. But had no room in my bucket.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top