Where can i ethically buy bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Where can betta fish be ethically, humanely purchased? I dont want to support the businesses that mass produce sad little fish in cups. Neither do I want to support "back yard breeders" that bought petco fish and are breeding them. Any reputable sources out there?
Thanks

At this point in time it's really not possible just go with a local breeder it's the lesser of the evils if it's what your worried about though tbh Petco isn't that bad depending on your local lfs. It's bad where I'm at for fish store quality.

My LFS has an awesome selection of bettas, they are each in their own 1g heated/filtered tank. But, they came from the breeder in small cups. It’s absolutely impossible to buy a Betta that hasn’t been in a small cup unless: 1( You breed it yourself, or 2( You catch it wild,

Over the years I have been to many pet store and have always seen them kept in those small cups except once where a LFS had them in divided tanks and that pet store has since gone out of business. :(

I guess it isn't necessarily the cup I object to so much as the bareness and size of the cup. I understand that their extremely aggressive behavior makes it impossible for them to be housed together like the other fish, but I do wish the cup could be just a bit bigger and that some of the wall of the cup was covered so that their sight was partially blocked. It seems like being stacked with other bettas would be stressful to them because they can't get away. Wouldn't that just wear them out having to be surrounded on all sides by other bettas?

I have noticed that at some stores they seem livelier than at other stores. I've overheard employees at one store talking about doing the daily water change for the bettas, so that might be a good source (relatively speaking). There is another store that is near me that I have had good luck with with other fish and even shrimp, so that's another option. I also admire Rachel O'Leary and trust her, but she has limited stock. When we're ready to buy, I'll check her website again. Although, I am not the main selector and pea puffers are an option too. There is still indecision as to which way to go.

Thanks all, for your input.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back