When To Start Fertilizing

I think ferts can be added pretty much from the start. Lighting however I think is best to start off at maybe 4 or 5 hours a day for a few weeks, and then up to a few more hours, then up to a full light period (about 10 hours)

You can fertilise immediately and it is best to. That way the plants are getting their ferts straight away and can get used to it before any algae appears.

With lighting start at 4 hours and then add an hour or 2 each week until you get to your desired amount between 8 and 12 hours.

Andy

Its to try and combat algae bursting onto the scene. Instead of setting up your tank and *bang* lots of light and ferts and CO2 (or whatever), it slowly increases and gives the plants a chance to acclimitise. As we know, algae can react much quicker to changes than plants can. So by doing this we're giving the plants a chance :)

Yeah was something I've read about on Barr Report and on here.

With the plants having to change themselves to adapt to the new amount of light, and nutrient they then need to grow for the new light that you gradually get them used to it.

Much like we wouldn't go out and run a marathon tomorrow if we hadn't done any running. We would start out running 1 mile then up it to 3 miles and gradually build it up until our body (and muscles) could handle it.

I will have to stop comparing things to explain points. I am starting to annoy myself.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back