When to introduce fish to aquascape

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SwanseaGuppies

Reaction score
Hi there,
Iā€™m setting up an aquascape using various low maintenance plants and azalea root (It has been soaking in my bath for the past week). The goal is to add some guppies to the aquarium at some point. I was wondering if you have any advice on how long to leave the plants to establish themselves before introducing the fish? I will be testing the water before hand to check itā€™s all okay. Thank you for all your help. XšŸŸ

Hi there,
Iā€™m setting up an aquascape using various low maintenance plants and azalea root (It has been soaking in my bath for the past week). The goal is to add some guppies to the aquarium at some point. I was wondering if you have any advice on how long to leave the plants to establish themselves before introducing the fish? I will be testing the water before hand to check itā€™s all okay. Thank you for all your help. XšŸŸ
You do not stock a tank with fish until it is cycled, regardless of plants or no plants

It does depend on how many plants and what kind.

If there are a lot of fast growing plants, you can do a plant/silent cycle. This involves planting the tank and waiting until the plants have obviously grown before adding fish. If you take a photo when it's newly planted, you'll have something to compare the tank to in a couple of weeks.
When someone is new to the hobby it is advisable to add fish a few at a time, and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels after each addition. Those fish keepers who are experienced with planted tanks can and do fully stock a tank when the plants are ready.

When a few slow growing plants are intended, it is better to cycle the tank first using the method in SlapHppy's link, and add the plants when the cycle has finished. Slow growing plants won't take up much ammonia, and even less if there are not many of them. And the level of ammonia in the water during fishless cycle can harm a number of plants which is why it's better to plant after cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back