What’s wrong with my endler guppy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scarlkatieee

Reaction score
I noticed at the weekend it was swimming close to the surface and not really moving around, the stomach seems very bloated and it’s swimming really strangely. I also noticed a few red marks on the tail, i can’t tell if it’s been ripped or whether it’s red spot?
I tried my best to take some photos.
I’ve had the tank for a couple of years now and i’ve not introduced any new fish for months now, I changed the water through last week and all my other fish, shrimps and snails are fine and nothings wrong with them.

Attachments

• CD6EF866-EC77-41CC-B2D8-90D0DBA9E267.jpeg
    CD6EF866-EC77-41CC-B2D8-90D0DBA9E267.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 75
  • F0458E3D-E40A-4E60-ACD1-71A1AF2A16E4.jpeg
    F0458E3D-E40A-4E60-ACD1-71A1AF2A16E4.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 70
I've heard that guppies are prone to digestive issues but I've never encountered it. Since last fall I have been doing something that used to be a common practice among aquarists but has fallen into disuse ( is that a word ?) . I add 4 teaspoons non-iodized aquarium salt per ten US gallons of water. If you do this start with three teaspoons per ten gallons. Add the proportional amount of salt at water changes but not to replace evaporation as the salt stays behind. This old practice aids gill function and disease resistance and seems to give most fish a little something extra that they need. I've been toying with the idea of raising guppies and several breeders of purebred fancy guppies recommend this practice. It is impossible to raise the Nothobranchius species of old world annual killifishes without this added salt ( so I am told by those who know) but common sense tells me that Tetras would not be thrilled with it. If you have a community tank you would want to consider that. I'm just saying all this as a possibility for the health of your guppy. In my case, my fish have responded very well and it seems to help with some issues of vigor that I had but don't have now. I'm a believer in salt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back