What’s Wrong w my Monte Carlo?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NewToFish2020

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to DSM some monte carlo for the first time. I bought potted MC from buceplant and currently have them in a 10 G almost fully wrapped (corners are open for exchange) and under high light for 12 hours with misting 2-3 times a day. However, it seems like some of the plants are not doing too great. I've attached pictures below for reference. Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong or what to do?

E0E55DC1-8191-4F61-879E-D7BB78BCDE60.jpeg
0459C41E-781F-4DED-B72D-F127049E8BA3.jpeg
6B43079D-C955-4EE3-B7B6-E8914506204C.jpeg

I think your plugs are a bit too big, you could make them smaller and closer together. I'm not a massive fan of dry start tbh as all you are doing is growing emerged growth that can melt when you fill the tank. Are you doing this as a Co2 set up?

With the soil and sand, over time this will merge quite quickly without something to divide it - if you want that kind of seamless look when the plants fill in you can use a piece of thin plastic to act as a divider and for the plants to grow over.

Wills

I think your plugs are a bit too big, you could make them smaller and closer together. I'm not a massive fan of dry start tbh as all you are doing is growing emerged growth that can melt when you fill the tank. Are you doing this as a Co2 set up?

With the soil and sand, over time this will merge quite quickly without something to divide it - if you want that kind of seamless look when the plants fill in you can use a piece of thin plastic to act as a divider and for the plants to grow over.

Wills
Yea I will end up using CO2. I’ll try to split the plugs apart more. Thanks for the advice!

Yea I will end up using CO2. I’ll try to split the plugs apart more. Thanks for the advice!
No worries - I'd personally add in some fast-growing stems in that big gap in the middle maybe like a regular Rotala Rotundafolia (vs something like H'ra or Orange Juice etc) or Pearl Weed and fill it up, get the Co2 and ferts going and the carpet will spread out faster. If you just want to end up with a carpeted area once the hairgrass and monte carlo get going you could remove the stems.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back