What's with the trend for 'Open' tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
From my experience of aquariums in the late 60s, the 70s and 80s, tank lids were always, ALWAYS, considered to be essential, especially for tropical tanks.
Not only did the lid hold the lighting, be it bulbs or fluorescent tubes, but it helped reduce evaporation, minimised fish loss through jumping and, perhaps most importantly, it stopped dust and household airborne contaminants reaching the water surface.

Today, I see this popular trend for open tanks and, whilst I can appreciate the aesthetics of such a tank, I'm wondering about jumping fish and those aforementioned 'airborne contaminants'?
The increased emphasis on plants is, as far as I'm concerned, a Good Thing and I do like those tanks with the plants growing up and out of the water.
I can also appreciate the nice lighting now available and the ability to get that 'different' view of the tank from above...although I suspect that might freak the fish out somewhat, as a potential predator suddenly appears above, casting its predatory shadow. ;)
Another factor with the light would be an actual reduction in the control of the light spectrum entering the tank. With a lid and modern lighting, the majority of the lighting can be controlled, with ambient lighting only entering from the sides left clear. Without a lid, ambient lighting enters from all five sides.
I can also appreciate the visual impact of a clear glass box, with colourful movement inside it, with visible frames and equipment kept to a visual minimum, although, again, I question the effect of such an open arrangement on the well-being of the fish.

Do those of you who have such tanks use a glass cover and, if not, how do you stop your fish jumping ship, minimise evaporation and stop airborne contaminants?

My 30 cm cube (shrimp tank) has no trims and no visible lid. I say 'visible' because it does have a lid. There are two pieces of glass, one a couple of inches wide, the other covering the rest, which are held by plastic strips which slot over the slides of the tank. So it looks lidless but isn't. With shrimps and their reputation for climbing up cables I would never risk an open top.

I have an open topped tank, I got mine because of the aesthetics. A lot of the rimmed tanks often have really big chunky hoods or lots of plastic trim that just put me off.

Up until today my tank has been open to the elements and while it does look good it resulted in me loosing my male red eye red tailed puffer fish on Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

So now I have a newly added D&D Jump Guard which feels like a much better situation, I bought it a while ago but always been intimidated by it as you have to cut lengths of aluminium. But its definitely worth it.

I think that open top tanks are going to become more common. Originally it was brands like ADA and DOOA that did open top with a massive focus on the plants but now Aqua One have a couple of ranges like this so going to become more popular as thats more of a high street brand.

Some brands do glass lids for the open top tank but I dont think anyone has perfected it and they are hard to use sometimes with filter pipes and other accessories. Hopefully brands will start to do options to make it easy, especially on the bigger tanks like a 120p or an AquaSys 300.

The other thing to say is that this has really been something planted tanks adopted from marine tanks so there are probably answers on that side of the hobby that the freshwater side have not picked up on yet. Eg the jump net I mentioned is actually a marine product but works on any kind of tank.

Wills

The first paragraph of post #1 contains the issues which should be of concern to every hobbyist. One thing not mentioned though is non-fish related...all that evaporation is damaging the structure of the house. When that much evaporation occurs in a room, it goes into the walls and ceiling. Similar to a bathroom with no circulation.

All of my tanks have no lids. I have never had an issue with fish jumping. Even my saltwater fish, which are known for jumping, never have.

To my knowledge, fish jump when they are unhappy or stressed out with their current environment.

Should I have lids? Technically speaking, yes. Do they look ugly? Extremely ugly.

—-

My LFS had a $1,500 silver Arowana that jumped out of their monster fish tank. The next time I came in there, they had a lid for that tank.

Last edited:
Being in Pennsylvania we have heating season and cooling season.
When we heat we generally run a humidifier attached to the ductwork to put humidity back into the drier air. When we cool in the summer the AC pulls humidity out of the air. At least in my house, there is always something circulating the air, be it heating or cooling. I can't imagine an overabundance of humidity where my tank is. Not like taking a shower with the bathroom door closed.

But I'll find out, as I am planning on going topless with the new aquarium and my next (if there isn't a problem with the first one). More for convenience than anything. Plus I do like looking down into the aquarium.

Being in Pennsylvania we have heating season and cooling season.
When we heat we generally run a humidifier attached to the ductwork to put humidity back into the drier air. When we cool in the summer the AC pulls humidity out of the air. At least in my house, there is always something circulating the air, be it heating or cooling. I can't imagine an overabundance of humidity where my tank is. Not like taking a shower with the bathroom door closed.

But I'll find out, as I am planning on going topless with the new aquarium and my next (if there isn't a problem with the first one). More for convenience than anything. Plus I do like looking down into the aquarium.
Evaporation is a concern, especially with the humidity of KY. PA does have some insane humidity, as I was up there a few weeks ago.

I end up having to top off about 1.5 gallons each week in my freshwater tanks, and 2-2.5 gallons in my saltwater tanks.

Yeah, I know I'll have to top it off more frequently.
And yes, up to a few weeks ago the humidity was insane for early summer.

The first paragraph of post #1 contains the issues which should be of concern to every hobbyist. One thing not mentioned though is non-fish related...all that evaporation is damaging the structure of the house. When that much evaporation occurs in a room, it goes into the walls and ceiling. Similar to a bathroom with no circulation.
With air conditioning (or heating in the winter), I don't think this would be a significant concern...both heating and cooling remove airborne condensation.

I realize not everyone has both, however....

Personally myself they look nice per say to look at but myself it would be no because dust can hold and if your in an area where you get it regular then it will hold on the water and for example flies etc can land on them and i read they can lay eggs and if the fish eat them, it causes parasites for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back