What's with the trend for 'Open' tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes. I was just turning it from SW to a reef, which is why I increased my lights.
I've been looking for pics of the aquarium, but I didn't name or sort anything in folders back then.
Cool. So you took it down?

My sister had a cat that used to jump up onto the tanks. I removed the covers one day and it went for a swim. It never jumped on the tanks again after that. And I didn't eat it, the cat just didn't want to go swimming again.

I had 3/4 covers on some tanks when I kept ferrets. Turns out the ferrets where using the covers as jetties to dive into the water and catch and eat my fish.

We had open top tanks in the shop and the pet birds would regularly bath in the tanks.

From my experience of aquariums in the late 60s, the 70s and 80s, tank lids were always, ALWAYS, considered to be essential, especially for tropical tanks.
Not only did the lid hold the lighting, be it bulbs or fluorescent tubes, but it helped reduce evaporation, minimised fish loss through jumping and, perhaps most importantly, it stopped dust and household airborne contaminants reaching the water surface.

Today, I see this popular trend for open tanks and, whilst I can appreciate the aesthetics of such a tank, I'm wondering about jumping fish and those aforementioned 'airborne contaminants'?
The increased emphasis on plants is, as far as I'm concerned, a Good Thing and I do like those tanks with the plants growing up and out of the water.
I can also appreciate the nice lighting now available and the ability to get that 'different' view of the tank from above...although I suspect that might freak the fish out somewhat, as a potential predator suddenly appears above, casting its predatory shadow. ;)
Another factor with the light would be an actual reduction in the control of the light spectrum entering the tank. With a lid and modern lighting, the majority of the lighting can be controlled, with ambient lighting only entering from the sides left clear. Without a lid, ambient lighting enters from all five sides.
I can also appreciate the visual impact of a clear glass box, with colourful movement inside it, with visible frames and equipment kept to a visual minimum, although, again, I question the effect of such an open arrangement on the well-being of the fish.

Do those of you who have such tanks use a glass cover and, if not, how do you stop your fish jumping ship, minimise evaporation and stop airborne contaminants?
I have cats. They don't eat the fish, they drink the water! At first I was telling myself "Wow! Some crazy evaporation!" Then I saw one ON the tank drinking the water! So I have a glass lid now!

Good video.
I wish he would have given the evaporation on the 50g lowboy with a lid, just to compare the 1" he said he gets without.
Basically he said you are changing parameters when topping off over a long period of time. But that would be true of replacing any evaporation, whether the tank had a lid or not. You just get there more quickly without a lid.

Something to think about.

Good video.
I wish he would have given the evaporation on the 50g lowboy with a lid, just to compare the 1" he said he gets without.
Basically he said you are changing parameters when topping off over a long period of time. But that would be true of replacing any evaporation, whether the tank had a lid or not. You just get there more quickly without a lid.

Yes, the main reason I'll never had lidless tanks....besides all of the other things that can happen (contaminants, foreign objects, etc)...

Good video.

I love this guy...he's one of my Favourites.

The point worth repeating is that evaporation only takes pure water out of the tank, leaving all of the minerals and toxic waste products. When we do water changes, we take all of it out, but without taking the increased concentration of toxins into account, our miscalculations over time could prove costly.
For me personally, it's all about control of the enclosed and artificial, self-contained environment. I like to know what's happening in my tank and I feel a need to control as much of it as I can. I feel uneasy when an unknown amount of water is leaving the tank on its own accord, in an inconsistent manner, due to exterior 'weather' conditions.
But, perhaps, that's just me. :D

The point worth repeating is that evaporation only takes pure water out of the tank
can't you just use RO water to top it off and then do the water change?
that's a real hassle though and one of the reasons why i'll never keep open tanks.

The point worth repeating is that evaporation only takes pure water out of the tank, leaving all of the minerals and toxic waste products. When we do water changes, we take all of it out, but without taking the increased concentration of toxins into account, our miscalculations over time could prove costly.
For me personally, it's all about control of the enclosed and artificial, self-contained environment. I like to know what's happening in my tank and I feel a need to control as much of it as I can. I feel uneasy when an unknown amount of water is leaving the tank on its own accord, in an inconsistent manner, due to exterior 'weather' conditions.
But, perhaps, that's just me. :D

I can understand that.

But "back in the day", even with a lid, there was always a lot of evaporation with a reef tank and it's high output lighting.
I think it's safe to say you should check your parameters before adding new fish to an established tank, then deal with it then if it needs dealt with. Kind of a pay me now or pay me later kind of thing. Even with a lid, you're getting evaporation. Just at a much slower rate.

So far my lidless 27g cube has needed topped off every 30 hours or so.
I just fill a pitcher with the same water that went into it and it brings it back to where it started.
Now that I have my test kit I can do a before and after and see if there is any noticeable change in the parameters. But I would not wait a week and then top off like the video mentioned. I can see things getting pretty concentrated if you are waiting until it gets an inch low to top off.

At least that's my plan. Do everything gradual. It's better a little at a time day by day instead of week by week or month by month.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back