What's with Betta's? I find out...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vantgE

I know you agree
Reaction score
I keep african cichlids, fun, fast, colorful, personel, fish, but why so many in the betta forum, small little guys that sit at the bottom of cups? I've wandered, and it's been discussed here, quite angrily to be honest,
I now own a betta and plan to talk about it, although i don't have much experience or respect for this fish, compared to cichlids, I value it and will care for it as best i can so if your intrested here begins, the betta test from a cichlid lover, hope this clears things up.

I bought a red crowntail that turns bluish at the very ends of it's tail, and a bluish silverish spot on it's top fin/top body. It lives currently in a five gallon hex tank with one small plant and one small peice of wood, as a quarantine tank it will later move to a ten gallon tank with two adf's and two white clouds (yes, i understand they are suposed to school)

So far it has done little explored a little, seems to be flared most of the time though, and it got syuck in the driftwood had too rescue it, (obviuosly not as intellectual as a cichlid but, IT DOES MOVE

*runs and hides from betta people* :shifty:

I used to be like you. Then I bought a Betta. Then I bought a female. Then I bought another male.

*sigh* Betta Fever? I caught it.

They are justgorgeous fish.

P.S- My Cichlids are smarter than yours :p

DB :fish:

Hi vantgE :)

Bettas are cool fish if you give them a chance. :thumbs:

I keep a few bettas in my cory tanks and find that they get along well. Since they naturally occupy different areas of the tank, the bettas don't see the corys as competition and I have never had a betta harm them even though sometimes they have lived with rather young ones.

Instead, the corys seem to fascinate them. I've seen my bettas follow them around and watch everything they do. I've even had one betta that used to go into their cave with them. They eat the same food and enjoy similar tank conditions.

Why not get 4 or 5 corys to put in your 10 gallon tank with him instead of the white clouds? :unsure:

hehe,lucky you never posted this in the Betta forum :p
ive had aplakat for almost two years now,but i just know that as soon as i out him inmy cichlid tank he will become live food :p

DD

Our betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank by himself. He swims all over it, especially when he sees either me or my wife come in the room. He thinks he can get us to feed him. I feed him Hikari Betta Bites and he takes them off my finger. I have a 5 gallon tank I bought as a hospital tank (never used) that I am considering putting another betta in. The are beautiful fish. It's a shame they are handled and sold as they are, in the 4 oz cups of water. Every time I go in a LFS I want to buy all they have just to get them into something they can move it. But then I realize my house is only so big.

The best thing about bettas is just the intrigue...like, they have beautiful colours, and they fight opponents to the death!

Super interesting fish, and doesnt need a lot of space.

DB :fish:

Update
Seems kinda unintrigueing hasn't got stuck again, and i fed it this morning, seems to hide alot and there is some kind of bacteria bloom in the tank, it ate it's food but not right away just gone when i came back

i can see the interest in them but apart from (very) selective breeding i can't see why some people keep so many, it's rediculous!!

and to be honest it's a lost cause recueing the bettas from the cups as you boast there betta sale and if you improve there sales in bettas then the store will make space for more bettas...

at work we get in 10 bettas with each order every 2 weeks and sell them all. They don't go in tiny tank they go in the normal ones and are scattered aorund the shop with suitable tank mates, we often have to separate them again after them jumping over dividers but sometimes they get along fine.

My very first fish was a Betta named Yong Fu. He lived 5 years. I had him in a ten gallon take with a few other fish and he did fantastic, swam around all the time.

hey vantgE, I too have a cichlid tank and they are gorgeous. I also keep about 5 or 6 bettas and I love them to death. Their colors, their shapes, are so beautiful. Bettas are not ment to be kept in small containers and why would you want them in there to begin with. I dont appreciate that you say you have no respect for the fish, Im not jumping on your case or anything but all fish deserve respect. Have you searched through google and seen all the different kinds of bettas? they are wonderful. Bettas would be much more appreciated in a nice 5gal tank with some plants. so it can move around and flare its beautiful fins.I do have bettas in gallon bowls but thats because I love them and I cant afford to buy that many tanks.I'm sorry if I rambled on too much but I just think bettas arent just little things that sit at the bottom of a cup they are gorgeous creatures that deserve lots of room and lots of care. One day you will come across a gorgeous betta and you wont be able to resist buying it and then you will have a shelf full of bettas. Have a good day :D

...It lives currently in a five gallon hex tank with one small plant and one small piece of wood,...

...Seems kinda unintrigueing hasn't got stuck again, and i fed it this morning, seems to hide alot ...

Hi vantgE :)

What do you expect him to do? :dunno:

How do you think you would act if you just took a very long trip in a ridiculously small package, with no sanitation, and very little air. At the end, you got dumped into a small cup and then found yourself in a little room with a plant and a piece of wood? And to make matters worse, you were tired and stressed and you had picked up a bacterial infection (from all that filth) that your system was trying to fight off.

Give the poor little guy a break. In a few weeks, after you have provided him with a rich and stimulating environment, and he has had time to adjust to it, then make a judgment about him. If you have done a good job of it, he will be active and interesting, as well as happy and healthy. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back