Whats the most disturbing thing you've seen a fish do.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Big Boy Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here ill go first i saw a bunch of feeder shrimp swarming around a dead one eating it. Blinking canible shrimp in fish shops.
Choose you're reply wisely.

A Cory was dead in the store's tank and there were two small shrimps earing it. But then a group of the cories started mutilating the dead Cory.
They just were swarming the body and ravaging through it... I was like "holy heck! Jeez!"

1658780579490.png
when fish are tired of humans catchingthem

Well, since you asked....
I used to have a Guppy colony, and the adults will cannibalize the young. Once I was watching a cute little fry when two separate adult Guppies came at it from two opposite sides intending to eat it. They each grasped different ends, and somehow one of the Guppies managed to peel off the baby Guppy's outer layer like a person peels off a suit of clothes. Like, the adults "skinned" the baby while it was alive. I'd seen female Guppies eat their own fry while giving birth before, but I'd always seen them eat the things whole or in just a couple bites. Skinning it while it was alive like that...was a new level of awful. I was almost relieved when a few seconds later one of the Guppies killed and ate the poor fry.

Last edited:
I saw a huge female Golden Wonder Killifish pick up a dead Pachypanchax playfairii Killie that was about one third her size and swallow it whole but first she swam around with it sticking out of her mouth like a cigar for an hour. Lovely creatures these fish.

Watching five perfectly healthy rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon Rosaceus) die in my tank, writhing in pain, within minutes after a water change, because I used the "feel with my hand" method to test the temp of the tap water before refilling the tank

Tank temp was around 76F, added tap water that was around 86F, MUCH too warm of a transition for fish basically enclosed in a box who can't escape to lower temps, as in Nature

Many other fish were irreparably damaged health-wise, as well

Most likely gas-bubble "disease", see here for more info...see "Water Temperature" subsection: https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-treat-gas-bubble-disease-in-freshwater-fish-5074238

Lesson learned (years ago), now special attention is payed during WCs to my tap/tank temps

Trying to catch a Comet out of a shallow pond before winter (2 ft deep, murky, needed to get in it to be able to reach center). He was stepped on by my husband, wrote off for dead, pond froze over completely. In Spring he defrosted and was ALIVE! My mom couldn't believe it, she called just to tell us she found him in her lillies. Next we came up for a visit we caught him and moved him to the big pond with his buds. Still alive to this day.

Trying to catch a Comet out of a shallow pond before winter (2 ft deep, murky, needed to get in it to be able to reach center). He was stepped on by my husband, wrote off for dead, pond froze over completely. In Spring he defrosted and was ALIVE! My mom couldn't believe it, she called just to tell us she found him in her lillies. Next we came up for a visit we caught him and moved him to the big pond with his buds. Still alive to this day.
Wait... So he completely froze???

This is a huge discovery if so. It is impossible (unless designed to do so) for a living being to be completely frozen and still be alive. Some micro organisms have this ability but full on animals don't normally. There is a frog that comes to mind that ALMOST entirely freezes to hibernate.

Wait... So he completely froze???

This is a huge discovery if so. It is impossible (unless designed to do so) for a living being to be completely frozen and still be alive. Some micro organisms have this ability but full on animals don't normally. There is a frog that comes to mind that ALMOST entirely freezes to hibernate.
Mom lives in Michigan. The pond had no heater, was too shallow to not completely freeze, hence why we needed to move the fish(they were eggs that hatched in a lilly pot she moved from the big pond). It was covered over with 2+ feet of lake effect snow. Best we can figure is maybe the layer of leaves and mulm insulated it enough or created a small pocket of water. By all means, it should be dead, but he made it through his ordeal somehow.

Edit: Insulated...we did not insult the fish🤣

Mom lives in Michigan. The pond had no heater, was too shallow to not completely freeze, hence why we needed to move the fish(they were eggs that hatched in a lilly pot she moved from the big pond). It was covered over with 2+ feet of lake effect snow. Best we can figure is maybe the layer of leaves and mulm insulated it enough or created a small pocket of water. By all means, it should be dead, but he made it through his ordeal somehow.

Wow, so there was also barely any water... Very intriguing...
I wonder about the science behind it all

I had a Severum once that used to move stuff around the tank. I had a rock in the tank, twice the size of the fish, it moved all the gravel away from under the rock until it rolled over and hit the side of the tank. I thought it would blow the side of the tank out, but it didn't.

Pond goldfish, in my experience, are VERY good at finding safe pockets in an otherwise frozen or toxic pond. Sometimes the decomposing mulm can create just enough warmth in the very bottom to keep them alive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back