What’s new (fish related chat only)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I work at a LPS and once had a customer mention her different tetra species weren’t schooling. I mentioned that some species only school with other tetras of the same or similar species and she looked me dead in the eyes and said “So the fish are racist?” Had me dying 💀
Hahaha 😂

I work at a LPS and once had a customer mention her different tetra species weren’t schooling. I mentioned that some species only school with other tetras of the same or similar species and she looked me dead in the eyes and said “So the fish are racist?” Had me dying 💀
💀 :rofl:
Some people man... 😂

Then she went home and had a picnic with a silverback, 2 chimps and a bonobo, right?

This whole idea of 'species' messes people up.

Today's plan is to catch 2 female wanamensis rainbows and put them into a 30 inch tank I've warmed up to 25c. They'll have a week of fine dining, then I'll catch the male and piut him in and they can make me a new generation of fish. It took me 20 years to find a pair of wanams that weren't hybrids, and the fish may be extinct, or at least perilously close to it in nature. The fish farms really messed around with it when it was common in its one habitat, and when human choices destroyed it, the captive stock wasn't what had been caught in nature anymore. It looked close to extinct in the hobby too, even if there was a fish sold under the name. It was only a few 'purist' hobbyists who had gotten them at the start and maintained the line that still had them. It took me a lot of networking to get some, and I love the fish.

It's time for another tankful. I hope they cooperate.

waname1 (640x427).jpg

Gotta do my water change today... But honestly have 0 motivation to do it lol...
I wish there was a miracle cure for algae and cyanobacteria lol

There is.
Balance of nutrients and light.
That's your miracle cure. :)
It’s true! Mine was everywhere I couldn’t see inside my tank and now when I added more plants I didn’t even see it!

Switched plants from my plant only 10g(the one I'm gonna use for the Walstad tank) to my pea puffer tank. I haven't scaped this tank, just put the plants in haphazardly. Low key like how it looks.
IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited:
It’s only 10 gallons it’s not that heavy 😂
that comment about thin seals has merit however. while I could lift a half full 10, I only move it with about an inch of water. a quick siphon, and a pump on the end of the return hose simplify the process.

I am beginning to be sorry I even tried to save the red eye tetras. Had to emergency move my trilineatus cories back into the 10, and the pH had dipped. I fixed, I had lost one in the 40, they could not compete for their dinner with 6 Buenos Aires Tetras, and one had died, so quick water change on 10, catch the cories and put them back in their favorite 10 gallon tank, which hopefully I got any residual tetra pests back out of when I cooked it with heat on high, did 100% water change and cooked it again for a day or 2, then re-cycled it with a guppy.

that comment about thin seals has merit however. while I could lift a half full 10, I only move it with about an inch of water. a quick siphon, and a pump on the end of the return hose simplify the process.

I am beginning to be sorry I even tried to save the red eye tetras. Had to emergency move my trilineatis cories back into the 10, and the pH had dipped. I fixed, I had lost one in the 40, they could not compete for their dinner with 6 Buenos Aires Tetras, and one had died, so quick water change on 10, catch the cories and put them back in their favorite 10 gallon tank, which hopefully I got any residual tetra pests back out of when I cooked it with heat on high, did 100% water change and cooked it again for a day or 2, then re-cycled it with a guppy.
Oh yes I would never lift it with anything in it! Only carefully sliding it by the frame at the base. And even then only rarely

Gosh I love free/cheap plants. Gotta just keep an eye out constantly online and in local groups. Corkscrew Val and Taiwan lilies for less than $1 a piece, and a ton of free Madagascar lace, crypts, anubias, lava ferns and more, as well as free mystery snails, driftwood and rocks for scaping. Yay 😁

Today I spent about fifteen minutes trying to get a good picture of my new betta Anakin. Whenever you step into the room, he thinks you're going to feed him, and starts zooming around the tank in excitement. He's very hard to photograph without it being blurry!
He came with a cloudy eye. We think that he probably scratched himself on something at the pet store. The good news is that after salt treatment it seems to be clearing up! 😄 So, yeah. These are my favorite pics of the evening's photo shoot. Still a little blurry, but oh well....
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back